directory issue

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

directory issue

Postby Volk » 12. October 2010 07:03

Hello. I'm having a rather recent issue with my xampp install. it worked fine for a few days hen all of the sudden it starte dputting htdocs/xampp/ as the default directory for the front of my site. I can acces sthe rest of the pages, however if i just type in my web address it goes to that. Can someone help me please? Running xampp 1.7.3 on windows 7 32 bit
Volk

Re: directory issue

Postby JonB » 13. October 2010 02:02

OK, I will have mercy on you -

The htdocs folder is configured to serve index.php.

and

\htdocs\index.php is a redirector to the folder htdocs/xampp which serves its 'index.php' which is the XAMPP page.

SO -

you can remove index.php from htdocs (in whihc case it will serve index.shtml, then index.html (or others) in the order stated in this code in apache\conf\httpd.conf. It always serves the one highest in the list on any given directoy IF you do not specify a filename. This is known as the Index property. If you want you can also edit this list down to a few things you know you will be working with.

Code: Select all
<IfModule dir_module>
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.pl index.cgi index.asp index.shtml index.html index.htm \
                   default.php default.pl default.cgi default.asp default.shtml default.html default.htm \
                   home.php home.pl home.cgi home.asp home.shtml home.html home.htm
</IfModule>

So if your "Home" page is index.html, just remove index.php and index.shtml from the folder and XAMPP will serve index.html for you. (the same would also be true of defualt.htm - another common choice for a 'home page' )

Good Luck
:)

ycf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows