Install exact copy of SMF

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Install exact copy of SMF

Postby SOHKat7 » 09. October 2010 19:16

Is it possible to install my current SMF version not a new install?

I put all my old files in there but I just get an error that it cannot connect to database. I'm assuming this is because I don't have the old database info for the "new" database. Do I just export the old database and import it to the new local database? or am I going to have to edit other files too?

If I do a fresh install it works fine...
SOHKat7

Re: Install exact copy of SMF

Postby Nobbie » 09. October 2010 20:02

SOHKat7 wrote:Do I just export the old database and import it to the new local database?

Probably.

I will never understand - why dont you simply try it? Instead of asking here (and knowing the answer in advance). You should do that first of all - and if something goes wrong (then - and only then) you should ask for help.

Or not?!
Nobbie

Postby SOHKat7 » 09. October 2010 21:17

Because I'd rather not waste time and possibly screwing stuff up? I'm new to using XAMPP in the first place lol
SOHKat7

Postby Nobbie » 09. October 2010 22:16

SOHKat7 wrote:Because I'd rather not waste time and possibly screwing stuff up

Screwing up what? A brand new Xampp installation?

You waste your time and OUR time and anyway, you have to give it a try.
Nobbie

Postby SOHKat7 » 10. October 2010 01:14

Wow, for a first response to a question people can be so rude. . . its a wonder anyone gets help anywhere these days with nothing but jerks.

As I thought, I get issues upon trying to do as described above.

When I go into the phpMyAdmin of my localhost, I click on the database I want, and choose to import. I upload my real database...but it never actually uploads. All it says in the bar at the bottom is "sending request to localhost" and nothing ever happens....

At this rate I don't expect to get any help here anyhow.
SOHKat7

Postby JonB » 10. October 2010 02:21

Afaik -

You should install SMF first on XAMPP. THEN you can use a backup of the original forum to create your new forum. If you don't seem to be able to do it with phpMyAdmin, use the Command Line Interface. The MySQL monitor [mysql.exe] can restore .dump .sql .mysql and .sql.gz (as I recall) The .gz file might have to be unzipped with 7zip first, I'm unsure

If you had add-ins or code cjhnages for SMF, they should prolly go in before to try to restore. You may also have to use phpMyAdmin to create the databse and admin users for SMF.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1057 ... -dump-file

http://dancameron.org/general/restore-y ... mmand-line

Since you are busy going off at the moment, please note this is an SMF issue, and really has ZERO to do with XAMPP. The right place for this question is their forums. I can say that quite confidently as I answer exactly the same kind of questions for YaBB every week on their forum, (YaBB is the software Simple Machines was forked from)

Good Luck
:)

yfm
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby SOHKat7 » 10. October 2010 17:01

I'm sorry if *I* seemed like I jerk. I just don't appreciate it when someone is rude for no reason. I see rude support people all the time on different forums and it just irritates me when there is no reason for it.

I'm curious how this is an SMF issue since its the mysql thing (that I'm guessing is part of XAMPP) that isn't uploading. I'm not getting an error or anything, it just hangs there.

I have no idea what Command Line Interface is to be honest. I'm 100% new to doing anything on my local machine. I figured I"d give it a shot. I'm fairly new to php/sql. All I know how to do is copy and paste when someone tells me I need to. LOL. I'm slowly learning. So as you can imagine, those links you've pointed me to are semi over my head.

I hope that once I can figure out this database issue things will be okay. I just don't understand why its not uploading.

*EDIT* - Turns out the database was too big at 40MB, so I downloaded it zipped and imported it and it worked. But I'm still having connection issues. I've opened a support topic over at SMF. Hopefully I"ll get some help with this.
SOHKat7

Postby JonB » 10. October 2010 18:10

XAMPP is a suite of programs, none of which was written by members of this project OTHER than the installers and configuration files. Apache comes from the Apache Software Foundation, MySQL from Oracle, PHP from Zend and PHP.org, Perl from Perl.org, Mercury form another source. Every one of them has its own support infrastructure, just like SMF, and for any "non-make-it-work-as-a-suite" questions, their documentation, mailing lists and forums are the ultimate resource. For the support VOLUNTEERS here, we help you fix XAMMP and make it work. Sometimes we tell you fix-its for Perl or PHP or MySQL, but that's an add-on and we choose to do it.

Now - What was your question??? Install exact copy of SMF? RIGHT? Where would you expect to get that question answered? on an Adobe Forum perhaps?

BECAUSE we know nothing about SMF. There's no way for us to know what the contents of that database backup are, or why its failing. It could also be a MySQL or phpMyAdmin problem. It could be a file format problem.

You stated the real problem right here:

I put all my old files in there but I just get an error that it cannot connect to database. I'm assuming this is because I don't have the old database info for the "new" database. Do I just export the old database and import it to the new local database? or am I going to have to edit other files too?

The answer is you have to make a portable backup of the MySQL files that support SMF. That may be built into SMF - I don't know. What format will it be - I don't know. I WILL bet that on the SMF site is either a Codex article or Forum answer that tells you the straight skinny, And surely no one HERE is an expert on SMF "or am I going to have to edit other files too" How would we know? SMF, on the other hand WOULD know.

I told you exactly how to get around that phpMyAdmin limitation (provided you have a true MySQL backup), and what I thought the order of steps should be and what the problems might be. what else would you like?

If there's a flaw in phpMyAdmin or MySQL - we can't fix it... If you can browse and edit your databases, then its connecting correctly, that's our part of the deal. - Can you do that (browse your databases)? I have no idea, but I am guessing the answer is yes, as you seem to have been able to get into phpMyAdmin.

If you can use phpMyAdmin, and 'see/edit your databases' - then MySQL, phpMyAdmin and XAMPP are ALL working.

I told you how to make a manual restoration of data, and you will have to learn how to do these things if you want to keep a server running When I say COMMAND LINE Interface, I mean get to the OS Prompt, Command Shell, aka the DOS Prompt, little black box? Its something often needed to fix things.

I'm not going to get rude here, but I have to point out that your lack of knowledge is not my or any of the other volunteers' issue. You don't know what something is, do what I do, read up on it. That is how I learned just about every answer I give here - test, it it doesn't work, find out why.

You chose to 'run your own server' - there is a minimal level of knowledge needed to get there. Being able to execute a program for the Operating System prompt surely is part of that.

Good luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows