Can no longer find localhost on network

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can no longer find localhost on network

Postby johnnywutang » 02. October 2010 21:05

I am looking for help to view my dev server from my other network computer. Currently I can only see my test sites on the local machine they reside on.

I had originally setup a dev Apache server on my old XP machine using XAMPP. It worked fine, and I could view the dev sites on my network via my primary Vista machine. However, I was unable to transfer files directly to the dev server due to installing it in the wrong (default) directory.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the server (using XAMPP again) into the proper directory. I can now transfer files directly to my dev server and I can see the directory on my network. The dev websites work fine on my XP machine. However, I am now unable to view the websites from my Vista machine.

I have tried the IP of the XP machine, but I get an "Unable to connect" error message. I obviously assume that not being able to find the dev server is due to changing the directory location of my dev server.... Perhaps my Vista machine is still looking for the server in its old directory?

Someone suggested I had to change the Apache configuration to reflect the new directory, but I have no idea if that is indeed the case.

I am pretty green when it comes to server side stuff, so I'd be grateful for any help in this!
johnnywutang

Re: Can no longer find localhost on network

Postby JonB » 02. October 2010 23:38

If you are talking about finding the folders through Windows Explorer, it shounds like you need to share the folder on the machine that host's teh XAMPP server.

:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby johnnywutang » 02. October 2010 23:42

No, I can browse and find the directory folders no problem. I can't view the dev sites through my browser, which is my goal. Thank you for your reply!
johnnywutang

Postby JonB » 03. October 2010 03:21

Check the Windows Firewall on the machine that is running XAMMP

Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions - see if there's an entry for Apache HTTP Server that matches the current location of teh XAMPP folder when you click edit.

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows