XAMPP and DW grief... Is there a guru in the house?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP and DW grief... Is there a guru in the house?

Postby joe_fontane » 21. August 2010 21:23

Been struggling with the mysql password problems recently, mainly the 1045's access denied alerts for user@localhost. I'm pretty sure everyone deals with these sooner or later, right?

I finally got the phpmyadmin config edited and the root-user password reset and while phpmyadmin has worked a treat since then, I can't seem to get DW CS4 to connect to a database i created for the very purpose. It should be walk in the park, agreed; been doing it since way back, but then this isn't the only symptom of connectivity problems... Out of the five or so shoutboxes I've messed around with over the last week, only one has functioned properly. I get weird access denied alerts or just plain nada in the case of a php + ajax solution: yshout - is ajax supposed to work on xampp 1.7.3?
I've tried chmodding the lot of files to no avail, and I've checked and rechecked for typos. Turning off my malware defences didn't help either.

To specify: I've changed the root mysql password and phpmyadmin is much to my delight accepting both it and a database specific user I created for testing purposes and which I'm trying to use to connect to my db, but dreamweaver isn't playing along, all while the root-user should have full privileges. All I get is a #1045 access denied error when I try to test the MySQL connection. What could I possibly be doing wrong? Getting up in the morning? Yea, but besides that? :roll:

Is there some common denominator to find among these symptoms? Feel free to school me.

Specs:
server: xampp win32 1.7.3
joe_fontane

Re: XAMPP and DW grief... Is there a guru in the house?

Postby JonB » 22. August 2010 03:12

I've tried chmodding the lot of files to no avail

CHMODDing how?

There is no CHMOD in Windows - its a part of the Unix filesystem.

Have you done any checking on the Dreamweaver forums?
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby joe_fontane » 22. August 2010 12:25

I had it one can chmod files through third party software. I suppose one could do it via the dos prompt also. I however couldn't connect to the localhost via FTP either, which I understood is the chmodder of choice for remote files, so I tried to mod them through dreamweavers own internal file explorer. Set them to 777 at that, but didn't help me none. What's funny is that I've never had to do this before, but then I was running IIS last time around.

Again, I've changed the mysql root password, as well as edited the myadmin configs and the xampp demo files do work with the updated info, but dreamweaver won't connect. I'm writing the shoutboxes not working off as my bad, but otherwise xampp seems to be running smoothly, dreamweaver has never acted up like this before and norton's got DW on allow, so I'm at a loss.

Oh, I have scoured the forums, but I got the normal run-around of check to see if everything's running, etc. Not much help there. I was actually on their site when this happened, rather ironically. I still can't really imagine it being a DW issue since it's only acting as middle management and has worked flawlessly in earlier versions.
joe_fontane

Postby JonB » 22. August 2010 14:50

I had it one can chmod files through third party software. I suppose one could do it via the dos prompt also. I however couldn't connect to the localhost via FTP either, which I understood is the chmodder of choice for remote files, so I tried to mod them through dreamweavers own internal file explorer. Set them to 777 at that, but didn't help me none. What's funny is that I've never had to do this before, but then I was running IIS last time around.

Let me be abundantly clear - (this will avoid you being embarrassed at some future date)

ONE CANNOT CHMOD ANTYHING on Windows - it does NOT EXIST. Windows uses the NTFS filesystem and the permissions structure that goes with it.

It also - therefore - is unlikely to be the source of your problem

I also need to point out to you that you aren't "running IIS" if you are running XAMMP. You can run one OR the other, but you can't be running both in the same instance. When you "ran IIS" before, you didn't have to do anything because soemone had done the work with the setup of IIS on the server. NTFS, unlike the ext family (*nix) of file systems, doesn't require constant monkeying with CHMOD because of the concept of inheritance,

Altough this was wrtiten for a completely different purpose - here's an explanation of Windows vs Linux (ext2 & ext3) filesystems and how they deal with permissions:
http://www.newnetenterprises.com/mercha ... 6_yabb.htm

So - is the server running XAMPP? What exact version? and please - which specific version of Windows ?

:shock:
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby joe_fontane » 22. August 2010 15:09

Thanks for the heads up, I had a feeling the convo was going in that direction. Let me point out that my initial chmod referral was in relation to the shoutboxes and something I don't normally even consider, but was offered as a solution to the php + ajax dilemma.
Let's focus our attention elsewhere.

I'm working with an unmodified set of basic php pages for a tutorial site setup, but I get the same 1045 error as I did earlier with xampp before I reinstalled the whole package and reset the passwords. It seems to work now, at least phpmyadmin is functional now.

The IIS install was on a different machine (XP), and I set it up myself, but haven't been actively pursuing these interests in a few years, so now that I'm on a new win 7 OS, I thought I'd give apache a whirl and thus opted for the xampp package.

server: XAMPP win 32 1.7.3
joe_fontane

Postby JonB » 22. August 2010 15:57

Well - we have some very good news there -

IF I understand right, phpMyAdmin is working at the moment, correct?

If that is so - two things are true:

1 - PHP is working correctly and opening MySQL databases.
(PHP in this case is a function of Apache - it loads as a .DLL)

2 - MySQL is configured correctly.
(you can access and control databases)

i.e XAMPP is not the culprit.

There's another Topic here where another person is having a DW CS4 problem connecting as well, although his setup seems to come from a different line of reasoning.

I'm going to suggest you folks watch each others topics, as 2 or 3 heads are better than one.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41715

I'm going to say that the problem may turn out to be quite obscure, and will require that everyone know 'what is doing what' and how it all works.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Solved

Postby joe_fontane » 22. August 2010 22:47

Who would've thought this would all wind down to a character encoding issue...

Finally got the connection setup by not using a plus (mathematical character) in my password. Of course, such a thing wouldn't have come to mind at first seeing as the root user wasn't working either and I naturally got ahead of myself and started chanting down the referee, as tends to be the case.

Not that I've ever heard of that particular limitation, but apparently one has to avoid using special characters in the database passwords. That simple. I want the last four days of my life back. :D

May this be a lesson to you all: think before you google - although it would probably have taken me just as long to figure it out anyhow.

I'm done for now. Big thanks to you JonB for helping out, best of luck dane and hope this helps someone, sometime...

I may be back.
joe_fontane

Return to XAMPP for Windows