Perl Version Problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Perl Version Problem

Postby vordrix » 21. August 2010 19:57

I have XAMPP installed on my windows machine, and everything was running smoothly. This was until I tried to install Webmin for my server a few day ago. When I try to install the Win32::Daemon Perl module using the Perl Package Manager, I get an error that the distribution of Perl that I have installed was not meant for this version of Perl. I would like to know how to go about installing this module. Must the version of Perl be changed, or is there a way to install the module as a XAMPP add on. Thanks!

I think I meant to post this in the English forums. Sorry!
vordrix

Re: Perl Version Problem

Postby JonB » 22. August 2010 02:51

Umm -

AFAIK - There is no easy fix right now. I researched it some months ago, and concluded that a new Module would have to be built. The one available only works with Perl 5.9 (as I recall). Although they are considerably different, PHP and Perl extensions generally have to be for the same language version. In this case, because it is built on C, a new compile must be created for Perl 5.10. Some Perl Modules are pure Perll, others have C components.

Another issue is that the Perl that comes with XAMPP is not ActiveStates, rather it is Perl built for Perl.org. I think the kernel is the same perationally (as in the Linux distributions) but I don't know how it affects other things.

XAMMP is really a suite of programs, designed to work together - there is no easy way to substitute components, sorry.

BTW, I did it for the same reason, to see if I could get Webmin to run with XAMPP. I looked for my notes on this a few weeks ago when I was researching compiling new PHP modules for XAMPP - I couldn't locate them :-(

http://johnbokma.com/perl/make-for-windows.html <== this references some of these issues (its for Active States)
http://www.justskins.com/forums/compili ... 32842.html (this is about the cygwin compiler)
http://www.justskins.com/forums/buildin ... -9617.html (more on compiling for Windows and the differences)

Sadly Perl for Windows is a backwater.

I'll take another look for my notes and the entrails of my encounter with Webmin for Windows. (Some one did build a Webmin installer for Windows, but it is also out of date)

:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby vordrix » 22. August 2010 03:49

Ok, thanks so far. Should I install active state perl's release on top of the one installed in the XAMPP directory?

Also, I am looking for somethink close to cPanel or Enkompass but because I am running windows server 2003, I am unable to install either. Do you have suggestions on a program to use other than Webmin or VHCP? Thanks again!

Also, is there a way to access the MySQL command line through XAMPP? I have been unsuccessful in trying to do so.
vordrix

Postby JonB » 22. August 2010 04:30

Ok, thanks so far. Should I install active state perl's release on top of the one installed in the XAMPP directory?

As I stated, XAMPP is a suite - I think you will break everything trying to implement Active States. That was one of the paths i went down and it did not work.

XAMPP is not meant to be a production environment, so I would not try to build a provisioning system with it. The XAMPP read_me tells you this. Plesk has a provisioning system for Windows, however I think the working assumption is that you will be using IIS. Webmin is a good tool, but it has parts that don't port well (read don't work) as it was built as a Unix tool.

Also, is there a way to access the MySQL command line through XAMPP? I have been unsuccessful in trying to do so.

yeah , well, like, did you look in xampp\mysql\bin?

All the command line tools are right there, and they work exactly like they do anywhere else. You will ONLY be able to access them through a Command window of course.

:roll:
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby vordrix » 22. August 2010 17:39

So there is no way to go about installing Win32::Daemon for perl on XAMPP?
vordrix

Postby JonB » 22. August 2010 18:32

At the momemt I don't think so, not without someone figuring out how to build the module for Perl 5.10.

I'm not sure it can be made to work with ActiveStates either, its really the same issue - wrong core Perl version.

Sorry

:(
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows