How can i accesse my localsites using xampp remotely??

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How can i accesse my localsites using xampp remotely??

Postby Luminarium » 14. August 2010 16:48

hi!, i just want to ask on how can i view or remotely access my website that i have created here in my computer using xampp ?? please help me on this one, am just newbie web page designer and i want to try out this new technology on webpage hosting. again thanks hope anyone here who could give me a step by step guide on how can i access my locally created websites remotely. thanks everyone
Luminarium

Re: How can i accesse my localsites using xampp remotely??

Postby JonB » 15. August 2010 00:00

Enable port forwarding for port 80 in your router and point it to the IP of your XAMMP Server -- apply settings :shock:

~ Voilà ~

:!:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Luminarium » 15. August 2010 03:46

uhmm could you please give me a step by step on how should i do that ?? i'm sorry for being a dumb in this kind of things. so please please help me on this. thanks thanks very much
Luminarium

Postby JonB » 15. August 2010 05:12

There are no more steps.

Enable port forwarding for Port 80 on your router.
Determine the IP address of the machine XAMPP is on
Make that the IP address that port 80 traffic will be forwarded to
Apply settings -
Done.
Now the whole world can see what you have placed in htdocs by entering the external IP address of your router in their browser.

I have told you everything that needs to be done. To ensure I had not missed anything, I had tested the instructions 'quickie sure' with a fresh XAMPP install on a clean machine, using a router that was not set for use with a server. Answer - Yes, these are the only steps needed in most cases. Total time - including unzipping XAMPP - about 15 minutes.

Most routers will allow this kind of setup. YOU will have to read up on your router a bit, and understand the very absolute basics of networking.

There are dozens of additional things that you might need to know in order to accomplish this - How IP addresses are assigned?, what is my external IP?, what is port forwarding? do you want to have a regsitered domain? None of them have anything to do with XAMPP, they all have to do with the state of your knowlege of your network and what exactly you want to accomplish.

This part no one can do for you - all routers have slightly different settings and menus, we don't know if you have a fixed or dynamic IP address, if your ISP allows port 80 traffic, or what IP addressing scheme your home network has. If none of this makes sense, you need to get cracking on the reading.

The good news is - I told you exactly what to do. In probably 80-90% of cases, it will work just the way you want.

:)

ysf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows