Mercury Mail Server Question (Please Help)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mercury Mail Server Question (Please Help)

Postby Sumeet » 11. August 2010 09:40

My problem is simple and straight ..
Ok I know how to set up email account on mercury ex: username@localhost.com

But Recently I have assigned my own domain to my machine which is registered to some registrar company and free dns service...
So now I can access my domain from anywhere to connect to my pc...
So whats the problem is I want to know how to set up mail account for my own domain which I assigned....
For ex: username@mydomain.com..

I know how to set up mail account for localhost ...But I don't have idea here what to do..
Please help....
Thanks in advance

-Sumeet
Sumeet

Re: Mercury Mail Server Question (Please Help)

Postby Nobbie » 11. August 2010 14:00

Sumeet wrote:I know how to set up mail account for localhost

Replace localhost by yourdomain.com and do just the same.
Nobbie

Postby Sumeet » 11. August 2010 14:38

Nobbie wrote:
Sumeet wrote:I know how to set up mail account for localhost

Replace localhost by yourdomain.com and do just the same.

Did that already all are working perfect but I can't send mails....
Don't know why all mails get stuck in pending status....
I have successfully created some accounts with outlook and thunderbird ...only problem with sending and receiving mails..
Sumeet

Postby Nobbie » 11. August 2010 14:57

Sumeet wrote:I have successfully created some accounts with outlook and thunderbird ...only problem with sending and receiving mails..

This is by far the easiest part of it.

Did you configure Mercury correctly, the Mercury Core, SMTP Server Module, SMTP Client (end-to-end version) or SMTP Relay Client?
Nobbie

Postby Sumeet » 11. August 2010 16:21

Nobbie wrote:
Sumeet wrote:I have successfully created some accounts with outlook and thunderbird ...only problem with sending and receiving mails..

This is by far the easiest part of it.

Did you configure Mercury correctly, the Mercury Core, SMTP Server Module, SMTP Client (end-to-end version) or SMTP Relay Client?

I have just changed all ip interfaces for smtp/pop3/http to my machine ip address...

And in mercury core module I have Changed -->Internet name for this sytem to my domain name
And in local domain names --> I have added my ip address...

Hope these configurations are correct...
Sumeet

Postby JonB » 11. August 2010 16:44

IF the idea is that Mercury Mail is going to 'pickup and send' mail for your Domain, you will have to create MX and A records for your mailserver with the registrar in DNS management. :shock:

Good Luck
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Sumeet » 11. August 2010 16:50

JonB wrote:IF the idea is that Mercury Mail is going to 'pickup and send' mail for your Domain, you will have to create MX and A records for your mailserver with the registrar in DNS management. :shock:

Good Luck

@ JonB

OMG all are just bouncing from my head can you please give me some details about What is MX And A records.(if possible)

I am currently using free dns service from dnsexit.com for my domain which is registered at godady.com.
Please give me some details How I can set up Mx and A records for my mail server.
My nameservers are like : ns1.dnsexit.com
ns2.dnsexit.com

Thanks in advance...

-Sumeet
Sumeet

Postby JonB » 11. August 2010 18:14

Here's a well-written guide:

http://webhosting.devshed.com/c/a/Web-H ... ver-Setup/

You need an 'A' (Address) record that 'names' the mailserver - typically mail.yourdomain.net (for a one-piece mailserver) and points to its IP address.
Then you need an MX (Mail Exchange) record that points to that server.

(a note: domains can have more than one mailserver (MX) record. This allows for redundancy/failover.)

Then your Dynamic IP service has to know what the servername is as well. I have not done an e-mail sever on a Dynamic DNS service so this might get tricky. You should look on their FAQ or ask in their forum. (This really has nothing to do with XAMPP). Some of the Dynamic DNS services only forward a single server on their 'free' plans, and charge a nominal fee for 'extra', 'pro' or 'custom' features. As Dynamic DNS is really hokey-pokey, smoke and mirrors + shazaaam soup - you have to follow their particular methods.

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Sumeet » 11. August 2010 18:50

@ JonB
Thanks for the information...
I think it would be better for me to set up separate email server in this case which is not related with xampp in any way...
Well anyways thanks for the information this was exactly what I was looking for long time..
Sumeet

Return to XAMPP for Windows