Send mail from website

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Send mail from website

Postby maeg » 02. August 2010 12:11

Hi
I'm total lost - I have read some of the treads about sending mails from website, but I can still not find out what is wrong.

I can understand that i have to change something in the file sendmail.ini
Can anyone please tell me how to do it.

Do I have to run my own mailserver to get it to work?

/
Maeg
maeg

Re: Send mail from website

Postby JonB » 02. August 2010 13:05

JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby maeg » 02. August 2010 14:01

Hi Jon B

Great and thx for quick replay - Maybe it is a stupid questions. But I wonder, what if I have 2 og maybe 10 domains and websites running under the same server. Are they all have to use the same smtp for all websites/domains.

Maeg :?
maeg

Postby JonB » 02. August 2010 18:29

Although it might seem they will all need different settings, the answer is probably not.

The info used by sendmail is really only the information needed to gain access to an SMTP server and forward the mail. Usually the applications or scripts actually format the e-mail (put it in a container) and provide the 'from', 'to' and any other e-mail addresses. SMTP is really a forwarding service, and you are telling the SMTP server (authenticating) that you have rights to use it to 'push' messages.

Remember SMTP stands for Simple Mail TRANSFER Protocol.

LOL - when you get to ten websites that are active, we can talk about how to run your own SMTP server (you'll only need one). And, by then, you probably will know a LOT more. :mrgreen:

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows