Lose Internet Access when Running Apache Server

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Lose Internet Access when Running Apache Server

Postby Drgolden » 20. July 2010 23:25

System is WinXP servie PAck 3. Internet provider is 14 mb Comcast cable
XAMPP 1.7.3
PHP: 5.3.1
Apache/2.2.14
Linksys router
Avast Antivirus/webshield

I am doing some Joomla web work on a local site. With Apache running (through the Control panel, not as a service) , I have found that if I open more than 2-3 browser windows or tabs (Chrome, IE, Firefox all act the same way) to access the internet, I will soon lose connectivity to the internet.

If I shut Apache down, internet connectivity comes back. At any time, with Apache shut down there seems to be no limit in terms of the number of browser windows I can have open at any one time. I have been scanning postings all over the web and haven't found anything similar, except a statement about Apache grabbing all the ports! I don't have a clue what that means, but it sounds significant.

Is this a configuration issue (Windows, Apache, or the router?) Is there anything that can be done about this. Starting/stopping Apache can get to be a pain.

Any help would be appreciated
Drgolden

Re: Lose Internet Access when Running Apache Server

Postby JonB » 21. July 2010 15:14

This could be a System Resources problem (Windows problem -- not XAMPP). If it were a configuration issue, it would likely happen all the time, but as you effectively point out -- "When I ask my machine to do too many things, it gives me the one finger salute" (putting words in your mouth there).

A quick description of your system would be useful. Windows version, processor, RAM, how much free disk space would be good starters.

Or it could be an issue with what you are trying to do with Apache.

My first guess on that is you have a 'memory leak' in Joomla. Try not loading the Joomla site, and use phpMyAdmin (for instance) - then see if you have the same problem.

It could also be a combination of machine and task - just need more resources. Some of those security suites are real resource hogs - As an expermient, try disabling Avast temporarily and see if your problem goes away.

The Windows Task Manager is a good tool to evaluate this. You can see how many instances (copies), how much memory is used by each and the % of CPU utilization for every program/service that is loaded. BTW, Apache (httpd.exe) will show up twice, that is the correct configuration for the Win32 version.

Two more things -
Apache and your browsers share one port - Port 80. But Apache could be hogging it, which would make the other browsers SLLLOOWWWW or unresponsive and they would time out on connections.
Your router is most likely innocent in this.

Good Luck
:roll:

CF
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Drgolden » 21. July 2010 16:55

Thanks for the inout.

Here's the system infoi:

C: 14 gb free
G 14 .p GB free (this is the drive with the Xampp installation)
J (Swap drive) 2.7 GB free

Window Task Manager shows no CPU usage or commit changes issues

After a little testing, it is apparent that Chrome and Firefox donlt seem to have a problem, but IE 8 (ver 8.0.600.18702) seems to precipitate the problem when two or more tabs are open. Reset IE to all default values and no joy ... same symptoms. Once IE show lost connection, Chrome and Firefox have the same problem until IE is closed.

Seems to be a mystery associated with IE 8. Unless, anyone has a solution I'll just avoid using IE 8 (probably not a bad idea anyway) and sticking with Chrome and Firefox
Drgolden

Postby JonB » 21. July 2010 18:26

Well, at least you know 'somewhat' what is going on.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows