from outside no accept reqeust

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

from outside no accept reqeust

Postby Mr. Spock » 19. July 2010 21:10

I installed xampp and Vbullitin on my local machine and it's working perfect as localhost but

I'm busy with designing and learning how to use Vbullitin board, and i get help from a admin of a other webpage (hosted) now i want to use my machine a testing webserver.
But the problem is i can see everything and the page is working perfect also reqeusts from cgi are expeted.
but when i try to enter it from outside or the other admin try to reach it it's almost a blank page (no gFX) and when clicking on for instance register there is no connection anymore, so the reqeust is denied.
I'm behind a router, but disabled the firewall to the machine the webserver is running on.
what do i miss so that the test server is also reachable from outside.
Is it a vhost a have to put up and if so can somebody give me a example script

p.s also treid it with a manual install PHP, MySQL, PHPmuADMIN, Apache and i couldend get it to work localhost perfect outside no
also can't chance the attrib read only from vbulletin_css (read on a lot of forums that would be the problem)
Mr. Spock

Re: from outside no accept reqeust

Postby JonB » 20. July 2010 15:54

I can answer one of your questions very correctly - there is really no need for a VHost unless you plan to serve more than one site with XAMMP (really Apache in this context).

I'm behind a router, but disabled the firewall to the machine the webserver is running on.

A - do you mean you created a 'DMZ' or you used port forwarding on Port 80?

B - Does the machine your webserver is on have a fixed IP on your local network? (it should).

the other admin try to reach it it's almost a blank page (no gFX) and when clicking on for instance register there is no connection anymore, so the reqeust is denied.

If they can 'see' the page from outside, then your routing is correct. Most likely the problem is with your configuration of vbulletin. (I'm not an expert with it, but I am a support team member for YaBB and those same symptoms are common for YaBB forums that have configuration problems).

if you made your Vbulletin installation for localhost or the Local IP of your server, no one outside will be able to access it successfully. The forum would have to be configured either for a domain name, or the external IP of your router. (I don't know how to fix it, if you did this - that's a Vbulletin question).

Good Luck

:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows