Mysql & PHP & iis

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mysql & PHP & iis

Postby xlx2 » 18. July 2010 21:07

Hello.
I have windows 2000 server advanced and iis5 with the same machine as my DNS server.
I use iis5 for hosting websites and it works well except for hosting sites that require Myssql and PHP.
I have tried to get Mysql and PHP compiled to work together but nothing seems to work.
I found xampp while trying to figure out how to serve php & Mysql web pages.
I don't want to mess up what is already working using iis5 for hosting but just want to use xampp for the PHP & Mysql part so that a website I have that requires Mysql and PHP will work by still using my iis5 server.
Is this possible to do???

I do have another windows XP machine I can use as a server but I read that you can not have two servers using port 80 at the same time and again I don't want to mess up the sites that are already being hosted now because they belong to other people.
I also found out that I can not use the Win XP machine as a DNS server so that would complicate things using one server for DNS server and another machine for hosting.

Can anyone help me figure how to use only my Win 2000 server for my hosting and only use the PHP & Mysql part of xampp.
Thank You
xlx2

Re: Mysql & PHP & iis

Postby Nobbie » 18. July 2010 21:28

xlx2 wrote:I do have another windows XP machine I can use as a server but I read that you can not have two servers using port 80 at the same time

Not only that - you cannot even use two different tools (like IIS and Apache) listening on the same Port (Port 80 for example). If you would like to have IIS and Apache both listening on Port 80, there is no solution for that problem. You MUST configure at least one of these tools to listen on a different port than 80.

Therefore, it is NOT important if both softwares are running on the same server - the Ports must be different in any case.
Nobbie

Re: Mysql & PHP & iis

Postby xlx2 » 18. July 2010 23:30

Thanks for confirming about port 80.
I was wondering that since this is true and I believe I need a DNS server for serving websites to the internet that in my DNS server forward lookup zones that I could change the IP addresses from my 2000 server 192.168.2.22 to my xp machine 192.168.2.23running xampp as an apache server.
The web request for pages would send the request for the websites to my xp apache server. Would that work??
I would just stop my iis service on the 2000 server and run all my web sites from the xp apache server.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks again.
xlx2

Return to XAMPP for Windows