Just installed XAMPP but can't get to run!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Just installed XAMPP but can't get to run!

Postby mister1031 » 09. July 2010 21:10

I have just installed the following on a XP Pro SP3 windows Box to do some Joomla localhost work:

XAMPP 1.7.3 regular (not lite)
Installed in root C:/ so it is C:/XAMPP
Used the .exe download version and setup with 'setup_xampp.bat
put address http://127.0.0.1/xampp/ in browser (Firefox 3.6.6) and ran Status, which shows:

Component
Status
Hint
MySQL database ACTIVATED
PHP ACTIVATED
Perl with mod_perl ACTIVATED
Apache::ASP ACTIVATED
HTTPS (SSL) ACTIVATED
Common Gateway Interface (CGI) ACTIVATED
Server Side Includes (SSI) ACTIVATED
IPv4 ACTIVATED
IPv6 DEACTIVATED
SMTP Service DEACTIVATED
FTP Service DEACTIVATED

However, when I go to the XAMPP C-Panel, it does not show Apache or MySQL as "running". When I push the start buttons, it shows the services were started, but I still never get a "running" status.

Likewise, when I install Joomla 1.5.18 and try to configure the DB, it states that "Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL ". I believe this latter problem is due to the condition first described. So, any thoughts on how to complete my XAMPP setup? Thanks!
mister1031

Re: Just installed XAMPP but can't get to run!

Postby JonB » 09. July 2010 21:52

You did run the XAMPP Control Panel, right?

for both Apache, and MySQL -

You need to click (check) the Svc box, then OK the 'Click OK to install service'

Then click the Start for each the 'first time' - that should start them after you install the service.

When you reboot, becasue they are 'services' under Windows, they will 'self-start' each time. You can click the SCM button to open the Service Control Manager.

BTW, You 'should be getting messages in the XAMPP Control Panel status box at the bottom as you do these things.

All the XAMPP Status page really tells you is what options are 'configured to work' NOT if they are running.

:shock:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby mister1031 » 09. July 2010 21:55

OK! Thanks!
I'll try that! and be back!
mister1031

Postby mister1031 » 10. July 2010 00:15

Here are my answers to the questions posed:

Q> You did run the XAMPP Control Panel, right?
for both Apache, and MySQL. You need to click (check) the Svc box, then OK the 'Click OK to install service' -

A. Yes, I started, it and checked Apache, MySQL, FileZilla and Mercury. I then started Apache and MySql (but not the other two) and watched the window as it said "Service Started".

Q. When you reboot, becasue they are 'services' under Windows, they will 'self-start' each time. You can click the SCM button to open the Service Control Manager.

A. I did reboot and it took me back to the same problem unresolved.
The SCM reveals to me all the services I have, started and unstarted. It's possible that I need to start one or more of these to facilitate MySQL and Apache, but I'm don't know which one(s). BTW, when I look under Windows Task Manager (Processes), I see the following running: xampp-controll.exe, sqlserv.exe and sqlwriter.exe, but nothing more related to Apache or MySQL-connected processes.

So, the problem(s) seems to be related to Apache and MySQL not starting properly. I followed the XAMPP installation instructions to the letter, but obviously they doesn't cover everything one needs to have in place when setting up. So, any more thoughts would definitely be appreciated.
mister1031

Postby mister1031 » 10. July 2010 07:46

OK! I got the services to install and work.

What I did was remove firewall and related security checkware, stopped AND unchecked MySql and Apache in the C-Panel. Then rechecked AND restarted first Apache and then MySQL and ... voola!
They both came on and showed as running.

I rebooted to see if they would stay running and they did. So...I hesitate to reinstall my security software so anyone out there know what definitely doesn't conflict with their installation? Not looking to spend a bundle but don't want to be unprotected either! Sound familiar?
mister1031

Postby JonB » 10. July 2010 19:20

Glad you got it working

Try re-enabling the Windows firewall. If it has a problem, normally it will squawk and give you a chance to unblock the service or program.

I'm running the native Windows firewall on XP3, along with AVG - and everything works OK at this point.
(I have XAMPP also on a Windows 7 box, also OK) Some of those 'suites' are very complicated to configure... particularly Symantec.

Good Luck
:D
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows