Xampp recommendations

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp recommendations

Postby yacahuma » 23. June 2010 01:59

It would be nice if the installation script ask for
1. Mysql root password
2. Default character set. I believe the default should be utf8 and not latin1. But make it an option
3. Time zone should not default to Halifax, It should also be and installation parameter.
4. Ask if root can access remotely

Out of the box this 3 parameters have to be changed. Why not make it part of the installation script?

Thank you
BTW. Great package
yacahuma

Re: Xampp recommendations

Postby Nobbie » 23. June 2010 10:09

yacahuma wrote:It would be nice if the installation script ask for

It would be nice if you speak german either or put your post into the english board, this is obviously the german board.

yacahuma wrote:I believe the default should be utf8 and not latin1.

Definately not. Dont use utf8 without any needs, as PHP does not support multi-byte characters with the standard string routines (strlen() etc.).

yacahuma wrote:Why not make it part of the installation script?

Will you give the huge amount of support to all the people that do not know what the hell is meant by all that and will ask in this board? Many many users have only very basic skill and dont know what character set means or what a timezone means. And most wont even understand a word if they read "4. Ask if root can access remotely".

No, it dont think that this is a good idea. The idea of Xampp is to give the opportunity of a very easy installation - if you like a more sophisticated installation, don't use Xampp but install all the tools separately. And it is meant for local development only, so there is neither the need for a root password nor the need for remote access.
Nobbie

Postby memilanuk » 23. June 2010 16:05

It would be nice if you speak german either or put your post into the english board, this is obviously the german board.

Okay... unless the thread got moved, that just makes no sense. I thought this *was* the English sub-forum for XAMPP/Windows?

Definately not. Dont use utf8 without any needs, as PHP does not support multi-byte characters with the standard string routines (strlen() etc.).

Whoa. That might be good to know. I was setting up a database to start working on a project I've been wanting to do, and the whole 'latin-swedish' thing has been bugging me so I was setting the default encoding to utf8 as I thought it made more senses as a 'universal' default (not that I've had any problems with the original default)... if I'm unknowingly laying a trap for myself, I'd like to avoid that :wink:

No, it dont think that this is a good idea. The idea of Xampp is to give the opportunity of a very easy installation - if you like a more sophisticated installation, don't use Xampp but install all the tools separately. And it is meant for local development only, so there is neither the need for a root password nor the need for remote access.

I don't know exactly how the original poster intended it... but perhaps a different view might be: because it *is* intended for local development only, and no real need for remote access... would it perhaps be prudent to modify a few lines in httpd.conf and my.ini so that the default installation does not accept connections from the outside world, but only on the loopback interface - possibly with a button on the XAMPP control panel to run a script and toggle a couple comments on lines in those files to enable external access once the user restarts Apache and MySQL? That might give it a little safer 'default'...
memilanuk

Postby smaudet » 02. July 2010 21:51

Seems like this is the english board to me, at least I'm reading everything in english...

Suggesting that this thread be made a sticky perhaps?

And I have a suggestion to make, already e-mailed the lead programmer about it, and posted in the Xampp Source code thread, so I will look around this forum a bit more before posting my suggestion here.
smaudet

Return to XAMPP for Windows