xampp setup..confused!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp setup..confused!

Postby teedoff » 18. June 2010 03:25

Ok downloaded(several times) xampp for windows...ver 1.7.3 i think? Anyway I'm following a tutorial for setup on lynda.com. Installation goes fine and I can connect to localhost.com and view the xampp cpanel. However, lynda.com has me go into my control panel to edit my system variables i guess to allow mysql to run. Before this when you type mysql in the command prompt, it says service is not found or running. Anyway, they have me add the following....;c:\xampp\mysql\bin to this system variable "Path"
Nothing changes...cmd doesnt find mysql running. Anyone know whats going on??? Help please!
teedoff

Re: xampp setup..confused!

Postby teedoff » 18. June 2010 03:47

btw...I'm running windows 7 pro
teedoff

Postby JonB » 18. June 2010 04:48

is the lynda.com tutorial/training specific to XAMPP? And if so, what version of XAMPP?

Anyway - you don't need to add it to your path. XAMPP runs completely on command line calls.

If you install it to c:\xampp, and don't have skype and have disabled http.sys - pretty much XAMPP works.

You may need to make some firewall exceptions depending on how you want to use it.

BTW - everything you need for MySQL, PHP, Perl, and Apache for most situations is all in XAMPP as it comes in the download. So you don;t need other downloads. Out of the box it ran WordPress, YaBB and most of my MySQL & design toolkits for me - pretty cool.

Good Luck
8)
'
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby teedoff » 18. June 2010 05:14

JonB wrote:is the lynda.com tutorial/training specific to XAMPP? And if so, what version of XAMPP?

Anyway - you don't need to add it to your path. XAMPP runs completely on command line calls.

If you install it to c:\xampp, and don't have skype and have disabled http.sys - pretty much XAMPP works.

You may need to make some firewall exceptions depending on how you want to use it.

BTW - everything you need for MySQL, PHP, Perl, and Apache for most situations is all in XAMPP as it comes in the download. So you don;t need other downloads. Out of the box it ran WordPress, YaBB and most of my MySQL & design toolkits for me - pretty cool.

Good Luck
8)
'

yes the lynda tutorial walks you through setting up the command line for mysql.....im using windows 7 pro...and I downloaded xampp 1.7.3...which is the latest version i think....BUT...the tutorial is for version 1.7.1 and shows installing xampp in the windows\system32 directory....well at least in the video the command prompt shows that directory. When I installed version 1.7.3, I let it install in the default location....c:\xampp
Im just so frustrated now!! It should not be this hard to do!
teedoff

Postby teedoff » 18. June 2010 13:28

JonB wrote:is the lynda.com tutorial/training specific to XAMPP? And if so, what version of XAMPP?

Good Luck
8)
'

Also, what I'm really trying to do is get Navicat running with mysql. I have trouble with it as well. When I try to make a new connection, it gives me the 1045 error..."access denied for user 'root@localhost' (using password: YES)

password is typed correctly as well.
teedoff

Return to XAMPP for Windows