"SSL is not available on this server."

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

"SSL is not available on this server."

Postby TrueCHoJiN » 31. May 2010 08:14

The above error is generated in fake sendmail's error log when I try and use PHPs mail()
function to send mail using gmail's STMP server.

PHP.INI
Code: Select all
sendmail_path = "C:\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.exe -t"

SENDMAIL.INI
smtp_server=smtp.gmail.com
smtp_port=587
auth_username=********@gmail.com
auth_password=********

And I added these two files to the sendmail directory for (TLS/SSL support):
    libeay32.dll
    ssleay32.dll
XAMPP's 1.7.2 welcome page with https://localhost is working fine and generates no errors..
And my PHP function works fine on godaddy and 1and1, so it is not the script.
What am I missing??

**Oh, and BTW. Google generates on 475 results for this search >> "SSL is not available on this server."
And most are related to the FTP. When I prefix the phrase with sendmail, I get 4 results (2 in English).
Last edited by TrueCHoJiN on 01. June 2010 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
TrueCHoJiN

Re: SSL is not available on this server.

Postby Nobbie » 31. May 2010 11:47

See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39649&p=157913#p157913 and especially my working example with Xampps sendmail program "out of the box"!

You *must not* configure SSL but TLS instead (see my example).
Nobbie

Re: "SSL is not available on this server."

Postby TrueCHoJiN » 01. June 2010 07:40

Thanks for the VERY fast reply.
NOTE: Transport Layer Security (TLS) is a new name for Secure Socket Layer (SSL). The TLS 1.0
protocol is an updated version of the SSL 3.0 protocol. TLS and SSL mean the same thing.

(From http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/)

I have added your "example" to my sendmail.ini file, but the syntax looks odd to me? My mail does not even send with the below in the INI file, and there is nothing outputted to the sendmail debug OR error file??
# A freemail service example
account Gmail
tls on
tls_certcheck off
host smtp.gmail.com
from ********@gmail.com
auth on
user  ********@gmail.com
password  ********

;Set a default account
account default : Gmail

The Apache error.log contains this:
You must configure the smtp_server and default_domain in:
  C:\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.ini
  or
  HKLM\Software\Sendmail

after entering your example...

From the official sendmail website:
if you require TLS/SSL support, download sendmail-SSL.zip and extract into the same directory as sendmail.exe

I have already done that, but getting no where still with neither your config nor mine...ONLY when using GMAIL as my SMTP.
TrueCHoJiN

Postby TrueCHoJiN » 01. June 2010 08:15

I have followed sixteen different examples on the web for trying to get XAMPP 1.7.x using GMAIL's SMTP servers to send email, and here is how it worked for me: as of 06/01/2010.

1. Download msmtp http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/download.html
    2. Extract package to C:\xampp\msmtp
    3. Edit PHP.INI file:
    ; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
    sendmail_path = C:\xampp\msmtp\msmtp.exe -t -i

;NOTE: Path should NOT be enclosed in quotes, otherwise you will get “msmtp.exe: no recipients found” error.

4. Create text file named “msmtprc.txt” in the following folder: “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data” to contain:
    account gmail
    host smtp.gmail.com
    auth on
    user ********@gmail.com
    password ********
    tls on
    tls_starttls on
    from ********@gmail.com
    maildomain gmail.com
    account default : gmail
    logfile msmtp.log
    tls_certcheck off
    port 578

5. Restart Apache

I modified the instructions found here http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:mailconfig very slightly, to work for me. (Such as adding the port, removing a directory, etc...)
Last edited by TrueCHoJiN on 01. June 2010 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
TrueCHoJiN

Postby Nobbie » 01. June 2010 10:08

Your problem is, that you are mixing up different software products. Xampp already comes with an pre-configured sendmail program and you DONT NEED anything more. Simply configure php.ini and sendmail.ini (which already comes with Xampp) as I did in my example and it works "out of the box".

"sendmail" and "sendmail" are different products, there are more than one version of sendmail in the WWW. You should have used that one, which is pre-installed in c:\xampp\sendmail. Obviously, you overwrote that by your own sendmail download.
Nobbie

Postby TrueCHoJiN » 01. June 2010 16:17

@nobbie: Your problem is...you didn't read my post(s).
I configured sendmail.ini EXACTLY how your example said and it did not work.
I copied your example WORD-FOR-WORD (changing password, etc.), and put it in my sendmail.ini file (just look at my previous posts).

I can follow simple instructions, such as yours, and AFTER it didn't work, I took extra steps and downloaded a different package and it worked.

Like I said twice. I copied your example and IT DID NOT WORK, and you offered no solution. Your example did not create an entry in my sendmail error log OR debug log, it only created an entry in the Apache log (which I already showed you). Instead of crying about what I did wrong, tell me EXACTLY what my sendmail.ini file needs in it, so that it will work.

And BTW, I will repeat this AGAIN, and see if you answer this time.
I have added your "example" to my sendmail.ini file, but the syntax looks odd to me? My mail does not even send with the below in the INI file, and there is nothing outputted to the sendmail debug OR error file??

# A freemail service example
account Gmail
tls on
tls_certcheck off
host smtp.gmail.com
from ********@gmail.com
auth on
user ********@gmail.com
password ********

# Set a default account
account default : Gmail

The Apache error.log contains this:

You must configure the smtp_server and default_domain in:
C:\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.ini
or
HKLM\Software\Sendmail

after entering your example...

I did NOT download a different version of sendmail. I am using the sendmail "out of the box", as you would say... Offer a solution, not criticsim... If sendmail works with "TLS out of the box", let us get it working then so I don't have to use msmtp.exe. (Even though it has been optimized for gmail)
TrueCHoJiN

Return to XAMPP for Windows