Increase performance of XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Increase performance of XAMPP

Postby prof2004 » 22. May 2010 09:19

Hi fellow Xampp users,
I need some help. I know that the default configuration of XAMPP is using very low system resources, so that it can even run on a very weak laptop.

I am using XAMPP to develop middle siz php projects, but sometimes the default configuration slows me down. Can you post some tips to increase the performance of mysql or apache?
Thanks
prof2004

Re: Increase performance of XAMPP

Postby Nobbie » 22. May 2010 09:40

prof2004 wrote:I need some help. I know that the default configuration of XAMPP is using very low system resources, so that it can even run on a very weak laptop.

You "know" that? Interesting - never heard about that. Where did you find that information?

Anyway - if Xampp even runs on a very weak laptop, it means, that its running quite fast, isn't it?
Nobbie

Postby prof2004 » 23. May 2010 06:43

if you look at the folder mysql/bin you will see my.ini file, or my.cnf file. This is the mysql configuration file.
There it says
Code: Select all
# This is for a system with little memory (<= 64M) where MySQL is only used
# from time to time and it's important that the mysqld daemon
# doesn't use much resources.

Well for midsize databases a real webserver is at least 3x faster than the local XAMPP. Maybe there is a way to increase the configuration variables. I am not an expert on this stuff, but maybe there is someone who has done such an optimization before.
prof2004

Postby BigWetDog » 23. May 2010 13:17

Remember that xampp is just a suite of server/applications. I suggest looking at the documentation for each specific service you would like to optimize for your environment, and/or utilize appropriate mailing lists and/or forums. In the case of mysql, take a look at the performance and scalability articles http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/art ... ql-55.html and the performance forum http://forums.mysql.com/list.php?24
BigWetDog

Return to XAMPP for Windows