Hosting Xampp

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Hosting Xampp

Postby stildawn » 21. May 2010 03:23

Hi All

I installed Xampp on my pc, and then installed Drupal and built a nice website...

However now Im ready to go live... So how do I host my site?

A step by step instruction would be nice as I really have no idea about this sorta stuff.

Thanks
stildawn

Re: Hosting Xampp

Postby JonB » 22. May 2010 00:53

OK, I'll hazard a question? (since no one else will)

Was the purpose of installing XAMPP solely to test and build your site? And you want to move it to a Web Host?

OR do you know want people to now be able to access your XAMPP installation and the Drupal site you have built there?

:?:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby stildawn » 23. May 2010 22:17

Basically it our first site... Wanted to get it all mint before going live... And was recommended to develop on PC before hosting so as to not pay the hosting service while I was building it (took a very long time since I had no idea what im doing)

So yeah... What ive learned so far is to copy the 'htdocs' folder on Xampp to thw webroot of the host... And export the database and import it in the host and it should be sweet?

Correct?
stildawn

Postby Goten87 » 24. May 2010 16:21

if u use a router open port 80 on it and go to http://watismijnip.nl <- its ducth but if u see Uw IP-Adres: < along number >
that is your IP if u give it to other people and the will enter it as a URL the will find your site

sorry for my bad English

PS if u dont know how u need to open a port go to http://portforward.com select your router and model and its a step by stap tut
Goten87

Postby JonB » 24. May 2010 17:22

Basically yes.

Be aware if its a *nix based host, you will need to set the proper file permissions, and be careful about the file transfer mode in FTP. I recommend using FileZilla, or you can do it with the Control Pnale supplied by the WebHost.

LOL, another learning curve.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby stildawn » 25. May 2010 01:19

Hi All

Ok ive gone live but nothing is working :(

www.madigan.co.nz

Basically heres what ive done:
1. Setup a new database on the host, and imported my database into it... That worked ok.
2. Changed the settings.php to include the details of the new database.
3. Uploaded using Filezilla my 'htdocs' contents to the 'htdocs' folder on the host.

But as you can see... The homepage is working fine, but none of the other pages are working... The client login doesnt work... Etc etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks
stildawn

Postby JonB » 25. May 2010 03:00

OK -

try clicking on your links, note that it tries to forward to localhost.

This says that some URL settings are needed in Drupal. There is often editing needed in the DB or config files. I know this is the case for WordPress when you change locations. The Drupal docs are the place to look.

Hint: Google 'moving drupal'.

http://groups.drupal.org/node/12711

http://www.juliakm.com/how-move-drupal- ... oing-crazy

I seriously suggest you drop over by Drupal.org and avail yourself of their forums. You'll get the same kind of help you have recieved here -- except -- they are expert with Drupal! :lol: (as I am somewhat on Wordpress and definitely on Yabb).

Good Luck, you are almost there... I think your site is going to look fine,

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows