Need help with XAMPP, Win Vista Home, and a Westell 327W

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Need help with XAMPP, Win Vista Home, and a Westell 327W

Postby mirtec001 » 19. May 2010 13:24

I know the setup is like a bad joke, but here it is.

I'm currently running the latest XAMPP on a Vista Home Premium machine.
I can hit the localhost and do my configs.

I downloaded DynDNS to put my website out.

When I go to hit the website, I get a "cannot display the page".

I run a ping on the website through command prompt and it resolves the name, and returns the ping.

My setup is as follows

XAMPP--->Windows Vista Home Premium (Running through Norton 360 )---->Westell 327W (Port 80 forwarded to computer)--->Comcast--->Cloud
Looking for anyone that may have this problem.
mirtec001

Re: Need help with XAMPP, Win Vista Home, and a Westell 327W

Postby BigWetDog » 19. May 2010 13:28

Try listening on another port. It may be that your ISP doesn't allow traffic inbound on port 80.
BigWetDog

Postby mirtec001 » 19. May 2010 17:23

BigWetDog wrote:Try listening on another port. It may be that your ISP doesn't allow traffic inbound on port 80.

Thanks for the reply. I still kind of new to this world of port forwarding, listening, etc. Can someone give me a little lesson on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,
mirtec001

Postby BigWetDog » 19. May 2010 18:39

If you look in your httpd.conf file located in xampp/apache/conf you will find a line that looks like this:
Code: Select all
Listen 80

This tells apache to, well, listen on port 80. Now you clearly knew enough to configure your Westell to port forward 80 from your public (WAN) IP to your internal (LAN) IP.
Since you don't seem to be able to reach your public IP on the default port for HTTP (i.e. port 80) you will have to then try another port, say 8080. The simplest solution then for you will be to change your port forwarding to forward from, say port 8080, on your WAN IP to port 80 on your LAN IP. That way you won't have to futz with your Apache conf. You should then be able to view your page at http://mydyndnsaddress:8080
BigWetDog

Return to XAMPP for Windows