cannot get another joomla website to work on xampp -

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

cannot get another joomla website to work on xampp -

Postby richiep123 » 22. April 2010 19:33

Hello Every one,

I am extremely new to Xampp and joomla, i am currently writing my dissertation and decided to create a site using Joomla.
The problem i have is. I have the joomla site in a zip file ( my last computer died but i had a copy) i have installed xampp on my other pc and FTP to my local host, deleted the old joomla site that was there (this was a test site i made just playing around) i then uploaded the new site that i have in the zipfolder, which is massive (7000+ files) to localhost or 127.0.0.1. After the upload has finished i go to my local host and the OLD test site that i made ages ago and just deleted still remains. I have no idea what to do i have looked on every page possible but stil no luck.

in a nut shell, i want to put the new website on xampp which i have in a zip folder, however the original test site i made ages ago still comes up when i go to my local host or 127.0.0.1 or even different sub directories, no matter how many times i delete it.

Originally, i was going to put the site on my university server, i connected once to it earlier to day, but now i cant connect and it says something about there being too many connection from this ip?

I have played around with htdocs in xampp as i noticed this was where the old site resided, but now i dont even know how i can get back to the xampp home page where i access myphpadmin..

can anyone PLEASE help? I uderstand i may have repeated a post but i have searched all day for a result and i cant get it!

I need to be able to demostrate the site i have produced some how, xampp and a webserver is proving difficult!

thankyou in advance!
richiep123

Re: cannot get another joomla website to work on xampp -

Postby Narrowboyy » 22. April 2010 23:29

richiep123 wrote:The problem i have is. I have the joomla site in a zip file ( my last computer died but i had a copy) i have installed xampp on my other pc and FTP to my local host...
No need to use FTP at all, use the Windows Explorer file manager in the normal way.

Only use http://localhost in your browser on the computer that you installed XAMPP on.

Use the IP address of the computer XAMPP is installed on if trying to access it from another PC on the network.

If you extract Joomla to the C:\xampp\htdocs\joomla folder (which is ideal) then you would access Joomla's index.php file so:
http://localhost/joomla/index.php
Narrowboyy

Postby richiep123 » 22. April 2010 23:59

Thank you so much for the quick reply...

i tried using the ip that xampp is installed on, but i still get the old site. i tried index.php and still the old site. its really annoying me.

I went in to htdocs create my joomla foler and just pasted the old stuff i had from when it did work but it takes me to the old test site i made.

127.0.0.1 is my xampp server

http://localhost/joomla - when i access this its still the test site even tho i changed all the stuff in it.

my mate had it working on his machine butut he lives abroad - is there any way he could send it using that akeeba back up then i could extract it on my host? or even xampp?

apologies if i come accross slow - i have been looking at this for about 12 hours now - i have 2 weeks until my deadline!
I will be sleeping for 6 hours now but please if anyone can help please do :)
richiep123

Postby Narrowboyy » 23. April 2010 00:39

Are we talking about 2 computers or just the one here?

If you only have one Computer and XAMPP is installed correctly on it then if you go to http://localhost can you see the XAMPP Welcome demo page?

Have you checked the zip file of the Joomla you are extracting to the htdocs folder actually contains the Joomla files you are expecting?

What version of XAMPP did you install?

What version of Windows on this XAMPP computer?

richiep123 wrote:my mate had it working on his machine butut he lives abroad - is there any way he could send it using that akeeba back up then i could extract it on my host? or even xampp?
Have him upload the zipped backup files to http://www.rapidshare.com/ and then he can send you the link to the file he uploaded.

You can then download the backup from your mate to your computer and extract it into the htdocs folder.
First delete, using Windows Explorer, all the files and folders already in the htdocs/joomla folder.

Then try to access Joomla again but first delete your browsers temporary files folder (browser's cache) so you are not trying to load a browser cached page instead of a fresh page from the XAMPP server.
Narrowboyy

Postby richiep123 » 23. April 2010 08:14

basically, i made the website that i want to work on my mates computer as he helped me.. on my machine the one with xampp, i go to localhost and i get the xaampp splash screen which is all good..

you said to get my mate to send me the files, wel he has sent me a zip file with everything in, i kno i need the database aswell, but i cant even get the site up yet.

i checked the ht docs, it has the site i want in there (ithink) all joomla sites have the same folders, i deleted the old ones n replaced it with the files that work on my mates machine.
all i want to do is get the website from my mates computer, which i have, and somehow get it working thru xampp of a domain... i have host information for a domain but i got logged out of it yesterday n needed to wait until i could reconnect.
on my laptoop, i have vista home premiun and xampp 1.7.3...

i have already tried extracting the net site in htdocs, but never cleaned the cache, i will do that and report back.
I dont understand how if iv deleted the test site on more than one occasion, how it can still be there, even though new files have been overwritten them? weird!

thanks again
richiep123

Postby richiep123 » 23. April 2010 08:42

'working thru xampp of a domain'
this should read or a domain.

thanks
richiep123

Postby Sharley » 23. April 2010 11:03

Joomla requires the database to be installed or you will be asked to install again.

Joomla uses it's database for just about everything and is essential.

Use http://localhost/phpmyadmin to import the Joomla database backup you would have download from your friend - usually an sql file.

After importing the database using phpMyAdmin you may have to create the user/pass again for the Joomla database that you used when you first installed Joomla on your friends computer.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows