Apache freeze on xampp 1.7.3

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache freeze on xampp 1.7.3

Postby DanielB » 22. April 2010 10:12

Hi, I've installed Xampp 1.7.3 for windows on my usb pen and everything seems working fine. I've successfully installed hotaru and pligg.
The error comes when I try to install a plugin in hotaru or simply try to switch among admin tabs in pligg. When I try these actions, apache seems to freeze and don't respond for more than one hour and I have to stop the webserver (wich takes a little more than usual) e start it again.
I tought it could be due to wrong file permissions, but i'm not sure of it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

edit: I start being more convinced that the cause are file permissions, but how can I set them on an usb pen, on windows? Maybe the chmod command can resolve this problem?
Last edited by DanielB on 29. April 2010 09:42, edited 2 times in total.
DanielB

Re: Apache freeze on xampp 1.7.3

Postby JonB » 22. April 2010 18:33

I can answer 'part' of that accurately - CHMOD does not exist on Windows. Your device is likely formatted to FAT32 or CIFS. As long as you don't mount that USB device on a Linux or Unix based file system, permissions will probably not play a part.

Good Luck
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby DanielB » 29. April 2010 10:00

Maybe mine was not an accurately explanation. I meant the php chmod command, witch I've tried on a windows server as workaround for the inexistence of a windows chmod command.
I've formatted my pen as NTFS and set file permission correctly, but the problem still remains. I've noticed that on my desktop computer there0s the same problem although I can install at least a plugin before I've to stop apache.

Does anyone has an idea of what's going on?

EDIT: now I'm sure that it's a hotaru-xampp combination problem, because I've installed hotaru on my site and all it's working fine.
DanielB

Postby JonB » 30. April 2010 02:22

Daniel -

Did you look in the Apache log?

BTW, It does not matter if its a PHP hack or the real chmod, the various Windows file systems (FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS) do not use the same permissions systems as linux/Unix filesystems (primarily the ext2fs, ext3 and ext4 family) Windows (and NTFS) have no idea at all what you are trying to do, as they don't support the same set of attributes.

this is a VERY good explanation:

http://www.joomlatutorials.com/joomla-t ... ation.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_permissions

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2998 ... in-windows

it may indeed be a hotaru problem, these are quite a few linux/unix things that are dependent on Unix OS features that just won't run on a Windows machine for instance Website Baker and PunBB in my own experience.

Good Luck
:shock:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows