Help with wordpress

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Help with wordpress

Postby GWCOATES » 09. April 2010 16:02

Here's where I stand... xampp Control Panel shows Appache, mysql etc., services are running. I can get to 175.0.0.1 and have done the following:
Created a database "wordpress"... created a user to that database.
Downloaded 2.9.2 wordpress unzipped and installed to the root directory of the c|:\drive in a wordpress folder.
path=c:\wordpress\wp-admin\install.php.
Typed in browser /wordpress/wp-admin/install.php.... received file not found screen.

Appreciate any and all assistance.
GWCOATES

Re: Help with wordpress

Postby Narrowboyy » 09. April 2010 23:16

GWCOATES wrote:Downloaded 2.9.2 wordpress unzipped and installed to the root directory of the c|:\drive in a wordpress folder.
Unless you tell Apache otherwise all your web access files should be installed to the C:\xampp\htdocs folder, which is defined in the configuration files as the Apache server's DocumentRoot.
C:\xampp\htdocs\wordpress\wp-admin\install.php would then be the path
http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php would be the URI to use in your browser.
Last edited by Narrowboyy on 09. April 2010 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
Narrowboyy

Postby MC10 » 09. April 2010 23:30

You mean "http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php". But it doesn't matter, going to "http://localhost/wordpress" should automatically redirect to the install script if you are installed WordPress the first time.
MC10

Postby Ubiquity » 27. September 2011 05:43

This I think is the answer to my question but I should prefer to be absolutely sure before I proceed.
I too have installed XAMPP on my computer, and created a wordpress database etc.
So far I have downloaded and unzipped the Wordpress files and altered the wp-config.php but stopped short of installing Wordpress.

From what I read above I now need to move the wordpress directory into C:\xampp\htdocs\ as a sub-directory before initiating the installation - is this correct?
I currently have a moodle subdirectory in htdocs connected to its own database which appears to be working correctly and I wish to ensure that moodle and wordpress will be independent.
Am I correct in my assumption or should I create a further sub-directory (say wpress) in the tree to effect proper separation?

I intend to create a further MySQL database purely for the purpose of extending my knowledge of PHP/MySQL but hopefully this will not interfere with either Wordpress or Moodle.

Regards

Paul
Ubiquity

Postby Sharley » 27. September 2011 05:57

Ubiquity wrote:I too have installed XAMPP on my computer
Which version.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48331

Ubiquity wrote:So far I have downloaded and unzipped the Wordpress files and altered the wp-config.php but stopped short of installing Wordpress.

From what I read above I now need to move the wordpress directory into C:\xampp\htdocs\ as a sub-directory before initiating the installation - is this correct?
Best installing again to the htdocs folder after altering the wp-config file as you did not say if you set any paths etc. which may give issues if you move the installation.

Ubiquity wrote:I currently have a moodle subdirectory in htdocs connected to its own database which appears to be working correctly and I wish to ensure that moodle and wordpress will be independent.
Am I correct in my assumption or should I create a further sub-directory (say wpress) in the tree to effect proper separation?
Correct.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Ubiquity » 27. September 2011 11:54

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the oversight.
XAMPP Version 1.7.4
The only changes I made to the wp-config .php file were:
1) Altered name from "sample";
2) Added database name, user and password;
3) Added the Key values

I have made no changes to paths and I have not run the instal script.

I was just checking that it will (hopefully) be correct to move the unzipped wordpress directory to C:\xampp\htdocs\ prior to running the instal script.

Thanks again for your advice.
Ubiquity

Postby JonB » 27. September 2011 18:19

Hi -

That's how I have most of my WordPress sites set up (in a /wordpress URL). As long as WordPress is not the 'only' thing on a server or vhost, most admins put it in a /wordpress folder. There is another school of thought that says 'if its not in a folder called 'wordpress', you are less likely to catch spammers and hackers.

HOWEVER, if you plan to check the first Value in privacy settings, that last bit becomes almost irrelevant

Site Visibility
x I would like my site to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Bing, Technorati) and archivers
I would like to block search engines, but allow normal visitors

If you ever decide to change it, the WordPress Codex has an explanation of how to make WordPress into your sites 'Front Page', so you wouldn't need a redirect.

BTW - 'The Excruciatingly Correct Guide' (in my sig) is a WordPress powered site running on XAMPP :D

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Ubiquity » 28. September 2011 09:00

Thanks again for the reply! :)
XAMPP 1.7.4 - Windows XP (SP3) 32 bit - Wordpress 3.2.1
My installation is local on a machine only occasionally connected to the net for upgrades etc., as I am using it for learning and development.

I have spent all day trying to resolve my issue with the installation - trawling the Wordpress forums for possible solutions. I have tried completely removing all Wordpress files (and directories) from c:\xampp\htdocs then re-extracting them there from the zip file.
At the moment I have the files in a sub-directory (folder) called blog (renamed from the original 'wordpress' folder put into htdocs from the zip extraction.
I followed thw Wordpress instructions for modifying the wp-config.php file (using PSPad (one of the recommended text editors) - my last action there was to add the closing ?> tag but I discover that this is optional. Each time I run the http://localhost/blog/wp-admin/install.php script I get the following error (answers in brackets):
Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
(A - yes for this installation I have followed Wordpress suggestion and named the database 'wordpress' and the username 'wordpress' too - I am certain I correctly recorded the password I chose but (see below) perhaps this is the nub of the issue.

Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
(A - yes hostname recorded as 'localhost' - I found somewhere in the Wordpress forums a reference to appending the port number for MySql if it was not set at 3307 (default) - I notice that it is running on port 3306 and I did follow this advice on an earlier attempt without success so the host is listed in wp-config as localhost without the port appended at the moment.

Are you sure that the database server is running?
(A - My XAMPP Control Panel Application tells me the status of Apache is Started/Running (on port 80) and MySql is Started/Running (on port 3306) - I assume this is sufficient confirmation that the server is running)

If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

After this I can only conclude that perhaps my MySql 'wordpress' database username password is incorrect - unless you can think of something else.
Therefore -
Can I either 1) Reset my password or 2) Remove the 'wordpress' database and start again?
If either (or both) of these is possible how do I do so.

Again thanks - I hate asking questions that I am sure have been asked (somewhere) before but after a day of no result I feel its better to ask again.

Regards

Paul
Ubiquity

Postby JonB » 29. September 2011 13:54

Well other than that '3306' really is the default port for MySQL -

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/ ... lines.html

You can use phpMyAdmin to go look in the MySQL database. (and make any fixes)

Its the MySQL database, User Table holds all the user metadata.

If you are going to do Wordpress, and perhaps later move your WP install - you need to know how to use phpMyAdmin

The WordPress Codex (the best documentation ever developed) has articles on how to fix Usernames/Passwords
http://codex.wordpress.org/

If you wish, you can paste the contents of your wp-config.php into a PM and I will look to see if there are any obvious errors

this is really a WordPress issue, not a XAMPP one...

Good Luck
:-)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Sharley » 29. September 2011 21:18

Hello Paul,

Have a read of this old post and then the whole topic by my old friend Izzy who went through installing WP in depth and even though it is old it may still be relevant and hold some clues.
Topic: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20278

Good luck :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Ubiquity » 01. October 2011 14:53

Thank you both Jon and Sharley!

I now have WP installed after somehow ending up with 2 MySQL users both named 'wordpress' and with the same password, one on localhost and the other on % . I cannot use either of them to log in to WP but at least I can log in as admin.

Thanks again.

Regards

Paul
Ubiquity

Postby JonB » 01. October 2011 16:25

NOW it makes sense

The 'wordpress' database users AREN'T WordPress users - they are proxies for the 'WordPress' application to operate in MySQL. You created the WP User 'Admin' by installing. You can create more 'WordPress users' in the WP Dashboard. Those users are stored in a WordPress table in the WordPress database within MySQL, and really have no rights on their own in MySQL.

Just a semantics issue.

good luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows