create installer for xampp and database

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

create installer for xampp and database

Postby blue-genie » 08. April 2010 08:44

I've got a little php / flash project. all of this is going to be wrapped inside C#.
we're trying to create installers whereby the client can literally double click and xampp will be installed and then it must create a database.
Usually when I need another instance of my database on a different server i just export and run the script, however the C# guys want to know if there's another way to get the database onto another server. i.e. is there files in a specific location like mysql\data that they can copy over or something.

thanks.
blu.
blue-genie

Re: create installer for xampp and database

Postby Narrowboyy » 08. April 2010 09:31

blue-genie wrote:i.e. is there files in a specific location like mysql\data that they can copy over or something.

\xampp\mysql\data\dbname would be the folder required that contains all the database files you want to copy or move to another location, except for the user/pass name for the database access.

They are stored in \xampp\mysql\data\mysql\user.* files (encrypted of course) or if you know them you would have to create the database user/pass again in phpMyAdmin perhaps.

I have not tried to do all you are asking, so some experimenting may be in order but the above is where the files and folders are located that you may require.
Last edited by Narrowboyy on 08. April 2010 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Narrowboyy

Postby blue-genie » 08. April 2010 09:35

thanks narrowboyy

in theory then if they copy all those files the database will exist without having to create it?
blue-genie

Postby Narrowboyy » 08. April 2010 09:43

blue-genie wrote:in theory then if they copy all those files the database will exist without having to create it?
The complete folder and it's contents that is named as the database name needs to be copied to the same place at it's new location saving the need to create the database again.

So do the user.* files, but the user files are a guess as when I copy a database folder to a new location then I simply create the database user/pass again using phpMyAdmin, but it should work if you copy those also to the same location at their new MySQL home.
Narrowboyy

Postby blue-genie » 08. April 2010 11:00

okay we'll try it and see. thanks so much. will get back to you.
blue-genie

Return to XAMPP for Windows