XAMPP 1.7.2 with PHP 5.2.6 or 1.7.0 with working sendmail

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP 1.7.2 with PHP 5.2.6 or 1.7.0 with working sendmail

Postby bogdanvursu » 19. January 2010 16:02

Hi everyone,

When I started developing my app the latest XAMPP version was 1.7.2. I set up PHP, MySQL and Mercury and everything was working fine. And by working fine I mean specifically sending email using PHPMailer.
Then I discovered I have an older version of PHP on the production server (5.2.8) than the versoin in XAMPP 1.7.2 (which is 5.3.0). So I installed XAMPP 1.7.0, which has PHP 5.2.8.
Unfortunately I couldn't get the 1.7.0 setup to send emails the way 1.7.2 did. I found several workarounds, but none of them completely satisfies me.
Here's what I was able to do so far:
1. Disabled sendmail and SMTP in php.ini and used PHP's mail function. It's the closest I got to the previous (1.7.2) setup. The problem is that it doesn't work with addresses like this: "Firstname Lastname <username@example.com>". The error I get from Mercury (Core Process Window) is: "User <Name <username@localhost.domain>> not known at this site." For those of you who haven't noticed, the whole address field is enclosed in angle brackets.
Does anyone know why this happens? I am pretty sure that happens only with this particular setup: XAMPP 1.7.0 + sendmail and SMTP disabled + mail function + names in addresses

2. Enabled sendmail in php.ini and used PHPMailer to send emails with sendmail. I have no idea what happens, but one thing I can tell you is that no email is being sent. I used both the 1.7.0's fake sendmail and the one in 1.7.2.
If anyone can help me debug, I would much appreciate it.

3. The easiest fix to my problem would be to install 1.7.2 and then downgrade PHP to 5.2.8. The thing is that I don't know how to do this without breaking anything.
If someone could tell me what to pay attention to when downgrading, that would help a lot.

Thanks for having the patience to read all that.
bogdanvursu

Return to XAMPP for Windows