howto change webdav user / password

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

howto change webdav user / password

Postby patfee » 16. January 2010 22:32

hi,
could someone plz advise how i can change the Webdav username and password?

i.e. the command:
xampp/apache/bin/htpasswd -n -m newusername followed by 2x a password
generates the following error in the apache error.log:
Digest: user `wampp' in realm `XAMPP with WebDAV' not found: /webdav

Thanks
Patrick
patfee
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 15. January 2010 22:59

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby Izzy » 17. January 2010 00:30

Patrick the instructions are in the \xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-dav.conf file to use the htdigest.exe file not the htpasswd.exe file.

BTW I am pleased you managed to get the WebDav network drive sorted out.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby Izzy » 17. January 2010 00:40

Patrick the instructions are in the \xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-dav.conf file to use the htdigest.exe file not the htpasswd.exe file.
If you don't want to change or create a new file used webdav.htpasswd then drop the -c flag.

BTW I am pleased you managed to get the WebDav network drive sorted out.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby patfee » 17. January 2010 10:16

izzy,

i have tried with the htdigest.exe -c "C:\xampp\security\webdav.htpasswd" "XAMPP with WebDAV" wampp command, with and without the -c parameter.

instead of the "wampp" user i used i.e. "newuser" to test.
unfortunately i still get the error:
Digest: user `wampp' in realm `XAMPP with WebDAV' not found: /webdav

if i change the password for the "wampp" user, all works perfect.

do i need to add the "newuser" somewhere in a file or a database?

thanks
patrick
patfee
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 15. January 2010 22:59

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby Izzy » 17. January 2010 10:52

Patrick wrote:do i need to add the "newuser" somewhere in a file or a database?
The "database" is the webdav.htpasswd file in the C:\xampp\security folder.

Open the webdav.htpasswd in your text editor and you should see something like this:
wampp:XAMPP with WebDAV:bc7f2b670e7e965e307feb30492e642e
That is the entry for user wampp: in realm XAMPP with WebDAV: with password xampp which is encrypted.

This should be the only entry till you create a new user/pass.

You can if you wish delete the above entry before creating your newuser.
Make a Copy of the file before proceeding so if you wish to return to the wampp/xampp default you can.

Type in the command console opened in the C:\xampp\apache\bin folder:
htdigest.exe "C:\xampp\security\webdav.htpasswd" "XAMPP with WebDAV" newuser
Hit enter.

This will be returned:
Adding user newuser in realm XAMPP with WebDAV

You will then be asked for the password for newuser, I enter here an example, replace with your own.
New password: nuser
Hit enter.
Re-type new password: nuser
Hit enter.

Now check again the opened webdav.htpasswd in your text editor and you should now see 2 entries after you refresh the file perhaps:
wampp:XAMPP with WebDAV:bc7f2b670e7e965e307feb30492e642e
newuser:XAMPP with WebDAV:13f37b7f4a7e7026b6ee1b89bc07dd89


You can add as many users as you wish to this webdav.htpasswd file and to get rid of a user simply delete that user in the webdav.htaccess file.

Close the command console if finished creating new users.
Close the webdav.htaccess file in your text editor when finished - don't save it, just close your text editor.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby patfee » 17. January 2010 12:16

this works izzy.
but only after i removed the networkdrive in explorer, and created a new connection with newuser and newpassword.
for some reason, logging in with the "newuser" username, on the networkdrive that has been initiated with the "wampp" username, is not working.


Other question, how could i setup various users redirecting to various directories
as well as having different read/write access?

thanks
Patrick
patfee
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 15. January 2010 22:59

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby Izzy » 17. January 2010 23:57

patfee wrote:...but only after i removed the networkdrive in explorer, and created a new connection with newuser and newpassword.
for some reason, logging in with the "newuser" username, on the networkdrive that has been initiated with the "wampp" username, is not working.
That figures and I omitted to put that fact in my instructions above to not access the instructions from your network drive as you would be logged in using the wampp credentials.

patfee wrote:...how could i setup various users redirecting to various directories
as well as having different read/write access?
This is configured in the C:\xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-dav.conf file by adding another <Directory> directive (based on the default provided) for a different directory location and DAV Realm - AuthName and using a different AuthUserFile - webdav.htpasswd - if required (you can use the same AuthUserFile but to differentiate the Realm then you would need to change the Realm's AuthName name).

The Apache directory access directives
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

are also contained within the <Directory> directive but as for read/write access this could be configured for individual logged in users of your PC by right clicking on the directory and selecting the Security tab, as there is no provision in Windows Apache like there is in a Linux Apache's chmod permission system.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby Gollenz » 07. January 2011 01:25

I could not. =(
I do not know exactly what role the folder "webdav".
What is its utility within the site?
Does anyone know how to block it?

Thanks.
Gollenz
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 07. January 2011 00:24

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby Sharley » 07. January 2011 02:07

Gollenz wrote:I could not. =(
I do not know exactly what role the folder "webdav".
What is its utility within the site?
Does anyone know how to block it?

Thanks.
Please try not to cross post as it will not help you find a resolution any quicker.

Thanks and best wishes.
User avatar
Sharley
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: 03. October 2008 05:10
Location: Yeppoon, Australia Time Zone: GMT/UTC+10
Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby w00tw00t » 10. February 2011 16:33

Izzy wrote:
Patrick wrote:do i need to add the "newuser" somewhere in a file or a database?
The "database" is the webdav.htpasswd file in the C:\xampp\security folder.

Open the webdav.htpasswd in your text editor and you should see something like this:
wampp:XAMPP with WebDAV:bc7f2b670e7e965e307feb30492e642e
That is the entry for user wampp: in realm XAMPP with WebDAV: with password xampp which is encrypted.

This should be the only entry till you create a new user/pass.

You can if you wish delete the above entry before creating your newuser.
Make a Copy of the file before proceeding so if you wish to return to the wampp/xampp default you can.

Type in the command console opened in the C:\xampp\apache\bin folder:
htdigest.exe "C:\xampp\security\webdav.htpasswd" "XAMPP with WebDAV" newuser
Hit enter.

This will be returned:
Adding user newuser in realm XAMPP with WebDAV

You will then be asked for the password for newuser, I enter here an example, replace with your own.
New password: nuser
Hit enter.
Re-type new password: nuser
Hit enter.

Now check again the opened webdav.htpasswd in your text editor and you should now see 2 entries after you refresh the file perhaps:
wampp:XAMPP with WebDAV:bc7f2b670e7e965e307feb30492e642e
newuser:XAMPP with WebDAV:13f37b7f4a7e7026b6ee1b89bc07dd89


You can add as many users as you wish to this webdav.htpasswd file and to get rid of a user simply delete that user in the webdav.htaccess file.

Close the command console if finished creating new users.
Close the webdav.htaccess file in your text editor when finished - don't save it, just close your text editor.



hey izzy could you please help me!
i changed my password to that above (newuser...)
then i just changed the name "newuser" into some other name because i thought, the keystream behind that would just include the password.
i changed the name "newuser" into "w00tw00t" could you please tell me how i can login now? becuase "nuser" password doesnt work anymore =/
from my place where i am at the moment i have no other possibility to access my server.
i there is no other chance, i have to call my hoster.. =/
pleasse help me if there is any other way!!!
w00tw00t
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 10. February 2011 16:29

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby Sharley » 11. February 2011 01:52

You can't change this using a remote connection for obvious security reasons.

You will have to get the server administrator to give you another user/pass.

For others reading this, please don't change the webdav user or password from a remote connection or you will be locked out until the server administrator can correct your mistake.
User avatar
Sharley
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: 03. October 2008 05:10
Location: Yeppoon, Australia Time Zone: GMT/UTC+10
Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby its me » 18. October 2011 16:03

I'm sorry, but what is webdav and what is it for?
i can't see it in my xampp 1.7.7 and i keep reading in this forums that is security issue and can act like zombie ! do you have any place to read about it from scratch?
its me
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 03. October 2011 09:45
Operating System: Windows server 2008 SP1 R2

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby JonB » 18. October 2011 18:26

Google is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV

Good Luck
User avatar
JonB
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: 12. April 2010 16:41
Location: Land of the Blazing Sun
Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby its me » 18. October 2011 20:48

i read it that time, all of it, thanks JonB but how i know if it is used in my xampp now or not!?
its me
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 03. October 2011 09:45
Operating System: Windows server 2008 SP1 R2

Re: howto change webdav user / password

Postby Altrea » 18. October 2011 22:21

@its me: Please add your XAMPP and OS information in your profile settings. Noone will read all your earlier posts just to find that information. That will make helping you much much easier for us :D

If you use XAMPP 1.7.7, webDAV is not activated by default. If you use XAMPP 1.7.4, it is.
Check your \xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf file for a include line for dav.

in XAMPP 1.7.7 it looks like this (commented out - deactivated):
Code: Select all
# Include "conf/extra/httpd-dav.conf"
We don't provide any support via personal channels like PM, email, Skype, TeamViewer!

It's like porn for programmers 8)
User avatar
Altrea
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 8293
Joined: 17. August 2009 13:05
XAMPP version: several
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests