Xampp Source Code for Windows?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: Xampp Source Code for Windows?

Postby BigWetDog » 04. May 2010 16:43

Okay, so according to:
http://www.opensource.org/
the BSD license is considered opensource:
accordingly, paragraph 2 of
http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd
states:
The program must include source code,...

xampp_cli.exe and xampp-portcheck.exe are Simplified BSD licenses (in licenses/xampp_cli and licenses/xampp-portcheck respectively). There doesn't appear to be any licensing information on the other xampp-*.exe utilities unless they are represented by the license in the licenses/xampp which is GPL.
BigWetDog

Postby JonB » 04. May 2010 17:24

Well that's progress. Oswald seems to have his head on pretty tight, based on what I have read of his posts and notes.

And, maybe BWD can make something nice for everyone. (I work on a couple OpenSource projects on and off - one mostly ON all the time, the other is sporadic)

:roll:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby BigWetDog » 18. May 2010 14:29

Well, Oswald said to expect somthing either yesterday or today, so standby...
BigWetDog

Postby BigWetDog » 21. May 2010 19:42

Well, unfortunately Oswald couldn't give me any news. So I've sent another email to Heir Wiedmann formally requesting the source code for xampp_cli.exe. During that time I'm going to continue working with my decompiler and the old source to see if I can't peice a new one together.
BigWetDog

Postby smaudet » 02. July 2010 10:16

Looks like I'm not the only one wondering where on earth the source code is.

Would be interested in implementing a modular replacement if nothing is forth-coming, I already used Sourceforge in an attempt to contact the lead programmer about an issue with regards to xampp_cli.exe, so I have a stake in this from the standpoint of support. Not sure I even understand why the cli code was licensed seperately from the php code. Oh well.

Yes, we would like to see your code, if you read this, in the interests of improving it. :)
smaudet

Postby Slipaway » 06. July 2010 01:30

> Looks like I'm not the only one wondering where on earth the source code is.

Looks like I'm NOT the only one either. ;-)

It would be good to include the source for the XCP (XAMPP Control Panel) as Open Source so that we can make minor modifications (as necessary) for customization, or future improvements of the XCP.

It seems that Chris (from http://www.nat32.com) the original author made the source code available, but it seems that "Heir Wiedmann" has made some minor changes to the source code, and is hording the updated source code all to himself now. Seems extremely selfish, especially when the whole idea behind Open Source projects is Open Source code.

It seems quite selfish of "Heir Widemann" to hide the updated source code (especially on an Open Source project). Selfish people, do selfish things.

It would be good to post the source code for the XCP (XAMPP Control Panel) to Google Code, so it would remain freely available (on a third-party site) and we could make minor modifications and keep it Open Source (and public) for others to use/share. (The whole concept behind Open Source software).
Last edited by Slipaway on 06. July 2010 02:00, edited 2 times in total.
Slipaway

Postby Slipaway » 06. July 2010 01:58

Big Wet Dog,

Have you heard anything from "Carsten Widman"/"Heir Widemann" or Oswald as to where the source code is for the most recent/latest XCP?

Has anyone been able to get the XCP "2.5.8/2.6" versions of XCP source from Carsten Widman / Heir Widemann?

Is there any way that we can get the source code for the current XCP publicly posted to Google Code, and possibly even start our own public fork for an Open Source XCP (so people can customize the XCP and add additional open source applications to the existing XCP).

Have you heard anything from Oswald yet?

I wish "Heir Widemann" would quit being so selfish, and just turn over the source code so that we can make the XCP open source, and make it readily available for those that wish to improve upon and alter it.
Slipaway

Postby BigWetDog » 06. July 2010 13:26

I have made several attempts to communicate with Heir Wiedmann over the last several months. I've even gone so far as to try and reach him through his work email. But I have received no responses, not even so much as "Yes, I'm a selfish git so piss off". I did in one email say basically the same thing you did. I pointed him to several articles on the benefits of open source code and too called his behaviour selfish.
My correspondence with Oswald, however, has been in stark contrast. He has been most congenial. He has shared details of the project with me in confidence, and as he has my respect, in confidence those details shall remain.
What I think I can safely say, is that it is and has been Oswald's intent that the source code should be available. Because of this, I'm sure it's also his intention that it will once again be made available. I do not know nor can I say when. I, just like you and many others, await the day.
Keep in mind that like in most, if not all, Open Source projects the contributing developers do so part-time as they, like most, have regular, paying, full time jobs. Of course this is another reason to make the code available, more contributors means fewer man hours required per person. Even if there remains only a handful of developers that can officially commit code, the submission of patches from users would be of great benefit.
The XAMPP project already has a sourceforge site/project, and an SVN repository, so google code I don't think is necessary.
Last edited by BigWetDog on 07. July 2010 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
BigWetDog

Postby BigWetDog » 06. July 2010 18:01

I find it interesting to learn that Heir Wiedmann has himself submitted patches to open source software projects.
Says something.
BigWetDog

Postby Slipaway » 07. July 2010 07:29

Well this whole debate/conversation dates all the way back to at least February of last year, and some of the earlier requests were from early April 2009, I saw some posts about XCP source throughout 2009 and 2010, and even some of your own posts date as far back as at least April or May of this year, so that's been well over 15-18+ months of requests for the XCP source code from Carsten Wiedmann (from "mell1ej"), and I even saw some earlier posts that proceeded even that.

Here is a request on April 7, 2009 from "mell1ej" asking for the XCP source code (which is over 15+ months ago) asking for the XCP source code:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34411&p=147205p147205#p139958

Nat32support was kind enough to even post all of the source for his XCP 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5 here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36680&p=147200#p147200

Chris has been extremely nice about posting his own source code (which "Carsten Wiedmann" seems to have based "his" derivative works on).

Even that earlier post above (dated August 13, 2009) from Chris (the original author of the source code) had asked "Carsten Wiedmann" to PLEASE post/publish his own source as well. That seemed to have fallen upon deaf ears (for at least over the past year and a half). Even since Chris' request (from the original author of the XCP source code), asking " Carsten Wiedmann " to post the updates to the source code and 11+ months is a long time to wait for someone to post/publish their source code. That last request was made on August 13, 2009 by Chris (almost a year ago).

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36680&p=147200#p147200

So there have been requests for over a year and a half ago (dating back to at least "mell1ej" in April of 2009) asking for the source code for the XCP.

I do agree that the whole point of an "Open Source" project is so that the source can be made available, so that if minor changes (or customizations) need to be made, the source is readily available.

The whole point of making source available, is so that patches/fixes/customizations can be made without bothering the core developers. We all have jobs, and we all get busy in life. But that's the whole point of having an SVN, and storing the latest versions of code on the SVN.

If "Heir Weidmann" (Carsten Wiedmann) can't "play nice" with the Open Source Community then maybe another developer can just maintain the code (and make the fixes/updates), or maybe you (or possibly even myself) can help with just maintaining it (as needed).

But that's just ridiculous selfish for ONE person to make changes to Chris' source code and then not share the changes/updates or make them available, or update the SVN and then for Carsten Wiedmann to just horde the code updates all to himself.

It seems to defeat the whole purpose of an Open Source project, and seems to go against everything that Open Source communities and Open Source projects stand for.

Plus it puts a project at jeopardy, because what happens when ONE person "gets busy" (such as the case with Mr Heir Weidmann), or ONE person chooses to leave the project (for personal reasons) or just gets "sloppy" and never commits the updates to SVN.

Either way, it creates problems, and the releases should always be 100% based off of the latest SVN. If anyone wants to submit code (that will be used in a release) then ALL the source should be made available and the latest source should ALWAYS be stored in the SVN as well.

It makes it extremely difficult to make minor changes, updates, or even post code snippets (for patches) or customizations when source code is not even available.

Seems to go against everything that "Open Source" stands for. I have only one word for it "Selfish".

I had been searching for the source code myself, and stumbled upon one of your threads (and a few other threads) looking for the source, and all fingers seem to point at this mysterious Mr. "Heir Wiedmann" ( Carsten Wiedmann ).

At least a simple response from Heir Weidmann ( Carsten Wiedmann ) would be appreciated, even if it was a simple "Go suck donkey nuts, because I'm a selfish gnome that eats my own source code and doesn't share it with anyone else."

But at least we'd have a response. ;-)
Slipaway

Postby BigWetDog » 07. July 2010 12:43

Slipaway,
First, just stop posting to the other threads, especially old ones, on this issue. It's not necessary.
Second, please believe me when I say that I'm as frustrated as you are not to be able to get my hands on the source, but please also believe that this will change, and we will have access to the source. Just be patient a little while longer.
As I alluded to previously, Apache Friends is a very small group of part time developers who have created a very useful cross-platform suite complete with management tools. This is quite impressive when you consider the number of people working on the project. They are clearly talented individuals.
Again, please just be patient, the end is in sight.
BigWetDog

Postby Oswald » 08. July 2010 08:04

Hi Slipaway, BigWedDog,

I'm very sorry that it has taken me so long reply publicly to this issue. I tried to solve this issue internally and hoped for a long time to solve it in a nice and positive way.

I totally agree with both of you and yes, making source code publicly available is the most important aspect of an open source project. It is unavoidable. I'm sorry to say, but I was also unable to get the source code from Carsten.

We have reorganized the development team back to the old structure. Kay Vogelgesang, the original maintainer and author of the XAMPP for Windows version, has resumed that responsibility. He currently has these issues:

- Collect the publicly available source code
- Identify the missing parts and try to recreate them
- get XAMPP back to a state where all source code can be made available

Besides these issues we currently have problems with PHP/MySQL under Windows 7 which we also hope to solve soon.

That's mainly why it takes such a long time to release a new XAMPP for Windows beta.

We deeply believe in open source and it is one of our main motivations.

Please excuse my long silence, I always assumed that it was just a misunderstanding with Carsten and it would be easy to get his code made public. I was wrong.

I hope we will be able to get an updated version of XAMPP for Windows out soon.

Thanks for all your patience, and I'll ensure that this never happens again.

Oswald
Oswald
Apache Friends

Operating System: Linux

Postby Slipaway » 08. July 2010 09:11

Thank-you Oswald for coming forth, and at least letting us know what was going on.

I do agree that it's extremely unfortunate in the way that things turned out with Carsten. But thank-you for at least coming forward and making us all aware of the situation.

If we need to "step up" and help with the windows side of XAMPP, maybe "BigWetDog" and myself can maybe help in whatever way we can to help with the "transition" to get the Windows XAMPP back to where it should be.
Slipaway

Postby JonB » 08. July 2010 17:26

I'm glad things are clearing up a bit.

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby smaudet » 07. August 2010 15:37

It is great that this is being resolved.

I don't mean to cause any trouble, or whine or complain. I understand the people running this effort probably have better things to do with their personal lives than respond to posts on web forums.

I just mean to require on how "soon" an expected re-write of Xampp-CLI is expected, where it has gotten, and where news/updates about the new version may be found. I did check the news and the sourceforge files page, haven't found much there yet. It would be great if there were some (obvious) portal for communication of such things. And, I have waited about a month before posting this.

Its not an urgent matter to myself any longer, but it is a bug, and I would like to see it fixed, and possibly contribute, if ever I have the opportunity to do so (though I currently cannot commit to re-authoring the Xampp-CLI module myself).
smaudet

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for Windows