Xampp Source Code for Windows?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp Source Code for Windows?

Postby tembenite » 15. January 2010 13:00

I've been searching through the download site, but I can't seem to find the source code for Xampp on Windows.

Is there only the Linux devel package and its compiled using Cygwin or something, or is there actually a Windows source code out there?

I understand I can get the source code separately from Apache, Mysql, etc, I'd just rather preserve the Xampp structure so that my different installations mirror each other and it just seems easiest to compile the Xampp source (but I may be proven wrong).

I have an x64 bit box that I'd like to get running an x64 Xampp, if I can compile the source to x64.

From what I understand this should be theoretically possible, even if it ends up being more of a nightmare than I really want to handle.
tembenite

Re: Xampp Source Code for Windows?

Postby BigWetDog » 21. April 2010 21:15

The license for xampp_cli.exe is located in the xampp[lite]\licenses\xampp_cli states:

LICENSE:
Copyright (c) 2009, Carsten Wiedmann
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

But good luck finding the source for it, I'm still looking. I found what appears to be an old SVN site.
BigWetDog

Postby JonB » 22. April 2010 03:06

OK, I'll ask my naive question to both posters; "what particular source do you have in mind"?

:?:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby BigWetDog » 22. April 2010 11:50

I thought I was pretty clear. The source for xampp_cli.exe. It's currently the source of my trouble. Though the source for the other xampp*.exe utilities would be useful too (with the exception of xampp-control, which is just a wrapper for xampp_cli.exe, and I know it's source is available).
BigWetDog

Postby JonB » 22. April 2010 18:09

I'm frankly surprised one of the devlopers has not responded, but be that as it may:
I think you may also have indirectly answered your own question:

"Is there only the Linux devel package and its compiled using Cygwin or something"

http://www.cygwin.com/

(that may also explain the lack of a response)

Good Luck!

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby BigWetDog » 22. April 2010 20:04

I sent an email to Carsten Wiedmann, asking him directly about where to find the source. I'll post his reply here if/when I get it.
BigWetDog

Postby JonB » 23. April 2010 02:53

Great Idea

let's hope he replies 8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Narrowboyy » 23. April 2010 04:22

Chris from Nat32 who wrote all previous to 2.5.8/2.6 XCP releases posted these last year:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36680&p=147200#p147200
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34411&p=147205p147205

Download the only available source code for the version 2.5 XCP from this link:
http://www.nat32.com/xampp/

or download the file direct from this link:
http://www.nat32.com/xampp/xampp25.zip

It contains a v2.5 xampp.exe file, which is renamed to xampp-control.exe when included in the XAMPP distribution.

This exe file has a false positive Trojan reported by Avira (but Avira don't have a description for this TR/Agent.81920.50 (link)) :?:
So if you are at all worried about it then don't use it but compile your own xampp.exe with the available source code.

The included XCP from XAMPP version 1.7.1 was the last use of this xampp.exe file v2.5 (dated 9 may 2007) - 1.7.2 uses v2.5.8 (dated 2009-07-28) of the XCP (which I believe was the first closed source offering by Wiedmann) - so use the XCP from XAMPP 1.7.1 and rename it from xampp-control.exe back to xampp.exe and don't use the xampp.exe included in the source code archive file if at all worried (it was the only file in the source archive that produced this false positive).

You can however now compile your own XCP version 2.6 or any version of your choosing from the only available source code, just as Wiedmann has done to produce his closed source 2.5.8/2.6 versions.

BTW this 2.5 version can use an ini file to configure how it's use but I can't find any docu about the options.

I have uploaded to RapidShare a zip file that contains a mini control panel that was posted here some time ago (can't find the post now), it contains the 'basic' source code and in the readme file is a link to a liberty basic compiler on special at the moment with 12% off (also available for trial download so you may be able to work the mini CP source code with the trial version).

This mini CP may give you some ideas when you read the cpanel.bas file.

Directly download this clean mini_xcp.zip (1261KB) file from here:
http://www.gemmas.ws
or preferred from here:
http://www.rapidshare.com

I hope this post will be of some use to all who are seeking some sort of custom made XAMPP Control Panel because I would not hold my breath waiting for a response from the developers (especially Wiedmann) who all appear to have gone into some sort of hibernation or have now acquired a day job ($$$) - no forum administration, no moderation and no XAMPP for Windows beta releases for some time now - spam is starting to appear once again in the forum.

Good luck.
Narrowboyy

Postby BigWetDog » 23. April 2010 14:22

Thanks, but I know about the control panel's source, old as it is, etc, etc..

I thought I was pretty clear. The source for xampp_cli.exe. It's currently the source of my trouble. Though the source for the other xampp*.exe utilities would be useful too (with the exception of xampp-control, which is just a wrapper for xampp_cli.exe, and I know it's source is available).

At least maybe we can get them talking about making it truely OSS as it's license suggests, so others can get access to it and mod as necessary and/or contribute patches, etc capitalizing on the strengths of OSS as intended.
BigWetDog

Postby BigWetDog » 03. May 2010 00:42

I suppose it comes as no surprise, but I've yet to hear anything back from Heir Weidmann. I may start investigating my own CLI for the suite, possible expanding it and making it more modular.
I put the question on the German forum last night and this morning it was gone. So I put it out there again. An official response would really be nice.
BigWetDog

Postby BigWetDog » 03. May 2010 19:34

I've posted the question three times now on the German forum and each time it's been deleted. No PM no email on why. Just bloody rude is what that is. Would it be so bad to just answer the question?
BigWetDog

Postby JonB » 04. May 2010 02:22

BWD

I agree that was discourteous.

Can I ask one question though? Did you post in German?

Google translate is pretty good, I use it on my HR portal project where I'm working with folks that need posts in other languages, (but no Basque :? ).

Well GOoooogle just added a Basque Alpha (along with others) 8)

About 4=5 years ago I did a English/German site. I had two native speakers working, and I found LEO indispensable, to pick the right words for 'my way' to say things (it has phrase choice support)

http://dict.leo.org/pages.ende/impressu ... ml?lang=en

At least then, there won't be the 'off language' excuse. :wink:

Good Luck
Last edited by JonB on 21. May 2010 19:54, edited 3 times in total.
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby BigWetDog » 04. May 2010 02:34

Yup, posted in German, and while I'm not fluent, my German is passable. I checked it w/ someone more fluent than I, so I'm confident it was comprehensible.

Oh, and the count now is 5 times deleted.
BigWetDog

Postby BigWetDog » 04. May 2010 15:20

Well, I got banned for a half an hour for reposting on the German forum. So in response to the ban I sent an email to Oswald. At least he wasn't the one who banned me.
I'm still looking into the requirements of the modified BSD license to see what the requirements are for releasing source code. From what I've dug up so far it seems that the source code doesn't have to be made publicly available, but it has to be provided upon request. I'm not certain of this yet, but it may be a simple matter of just asking for the source code.
To be clear, I have no commercial interest and no desire to re-invent the wheel, I just want to get into the code to address a specific issue that I'm having and offer a patch and in genereal help to improve the functionality.
Last edited by BigWetDog on 04. May 2010 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
BigWetDog

Postby BigWetDog » 04. May 2010 16:12

I got a reply from Oswald. He said:
Yes, I agree and see the problem. :(
I'll take care. Give me a week...

Stay tuned...
BigWetDog

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows