Which ver of XAMPP do I have, and can it be upgraded?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Which ver of XAMPP do I have, and can it be upgraded?

Postby paulnye » 04. January 2010 03:17

I installed XAMPP a while ago and I would like to upgrade to the newest version but fear that I have missed the opportunity if my version is too old.
From memory I think its version 1.6.6 or 1.6.7 but I could be wrong
My 404 page on www.ggwo.org shows the following...
Apache/2.2.9 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8h mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.6

So my questions are..
1. What version do I have
2. Can it be upgraded without a big risk

Paul
paulnye

Re: Which ver of XAMPP do I have, and can it be upgraded?

Postby Izzy » 04. January 2010 05:08

paulnye wrote:1. What version do I have
2. Can it be upgraded without a big risk
1. The \xampp\readme_en.txt file usually has the XAMPP version as the first line or drag the file \xampp\install\.version in to your test editor to read it.

2. Old versions to the current 1.7.3 have no upgrade route so a fresh install of 1.7.3 would be required.

Let me know back if you want to uninstall the old version and install the latest stable 1.7.3 version as I may be able to give you some help that may make the task a tad easier

Remember that if your currently installed scripts and databases are equally old then they may not be compatible with the current XAMPP component version specs - so check with your installed script's author's web sites first or you may simply be able to install new versions if required.

You can read the current 1.7.3 version component's version from this link:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
(Developers's please note the link to the 1.7.3 readme_en.txt file on the home page still refers to version 1.7.2 http://www.apachefriends.org/winxampp/readme_en.txt).
Izzy

Postby paulnye » 04. January 2010 05:41

Thanks for the advice. The readme_en.txt revealed my version being 1.6.7
Question...
Why cant I run all the upgrade installs from the oldest to the newest from here?...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/

i.e. 1.6.7 -> 1.6.8
then 1.6.8 -> 1.7
then 1.7 -> 1.71
then 1.7.1 -> 1.7.2
then 1.7.2 -> 1.7.3

Can I do that? or should I use some script like you suggested?
paulnye

Postby Izzy » 04. January 2010 05:59

paulnye wrote:Why cant I run all the upgrade installs from the oldest to the newest from here?...
...Can I do that?
Not possible to do it like that...

...you will see that at SourceForge there are no upgrades from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2 so you would still need to uninstall version 1.7.1 when you get that far and then install 1.7.2 to be able to upgrade from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3

Best to uninstall your old version 1.6.7 and then install the new version 1.7.3.

paulnye wrote:...or should I use some script like you suggested?
Sorry if my post was confusing as I can't see where I alternatively suggested to use some script to upgrade.
Izzy

Postby paulnye » 04. January 2010 06:14

paulnye wrote:...or should I use some script like you suggested?
Sorry if my post was confusing as I can't see where I alternatively suggested to use some script to upgrade.[/quote]
Correct, actually I was referring to your comment about helping me make the upgrade task a tad easier
paulnye

Postby Izzy » 04. January 2010 06:33

paulnye wrote:Correct, actually I was referring to your comment about helping me make the upgrade task a tad easier
No worries.

Try the advise in these links to a previous posts I made on this subject and see if it makes life a tad easier when uninstalling and installing the new version:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37724
and a more detailed version here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38614

The most important thing to do is make sure that all XAMPP components (Apache, MySQL etc.) are stopped and any ticks in the Svc boxes in the XAMPP Control Panel are removed, then close the XCP when you are sure that no XAMPP components are running at all before making your Copy of xampp folder and subsequently deleting it to make way for your fresh install.

Let me know if there is anything not clear in the above links before you commence.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows