Updating ...

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Updating ...

Postby ForestQ » 24. December 2009 16:06

I have updated a long time via Upgrade Packages, but version 1.7.2 of upgrade package on your website was not.. How do I upgrade from 1.7.1?
Thx!

sorry for my english.
ForestQ

Re: Updating ...

Postby Izzy » 24. December 2009 21:55

ForestQ wrote:I have updated a long time via Upgrade Packages, but version 1.7.2 of upgrade package on your website was not.. How do I upgrade from 1.7.1?

The 1.7.2 version of XAMPP had too many changes to permit an upgrade to be created.
...if a new XAMPP have a lot of changes compared to the old one, we are providing no upgrade package for security reasons. Sorry.
The above quote is from this link:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#1175

This may help with uninstalling your 1.7.1 version so you can move up to either 1.7.2 where there is an upgrade to 1.7.3 or go directly to the latest 1.7.3 version.

You will need to uninstall your older XAMPP version, but no big deal if you follow one or two simple instructions both here and on the XAMPP Home Page.

Make a backup copy of all your own files you wish to keep but put them in to another location - not in the xampp directory, as part of the uninstalling procedure is to delete in full the old xampp version directory.

(TIP - I usually just drag the xampp directory holding down the Ctrl key, which simply makes a Copy of xampp directory, and when I have copied over my own files and sorted out any configuration file edits, and the new version is working without error, I can then delete this Copy of xampp directory).

Make a copy of your old version configuration files if you have made custom changes but don't overwrite the new configuration files with your old ones, but just edit the new version configuration files with the custom changes you made in the old version files.

The reason being, the configuration files in the new XAMPP version may contain configuration items that are not contained in your older version configuration files - just edit the new ones with any changes you may require.

Most important is to make sure you stop all running XAMPP components and uninstall any XAMPP components you may have running as a service, including the XAMPP Control Panel, before attempting to uninstall XAMPP.

Another tip is to install to the root directory of your drive or partition - example C:\ - F:\ etc. not to any directory with a space in the name like C:\Program Files\xampp etc. - this method will help to eliminate any future hassles with scripts that can't handle spaces in a file or directory name and remember that all things Apache are case sensitive like xampp is treated as a different name to Xampp etc. unlike all things Windows.

Make sure all the ports that XAMPP requires are Free by running \xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe just after installation and before you attempt to start any of the XAMPP modules - this can be done after starting the XAMPP Control Panel.

This procedure will confirm that the uninstall of your old version was successful and that you have no other programs like Skype or IIS (the Windows server) running on the same ports that XAMPP requires exclusively.

Please pay attention to running the \xampp\setup_xampp.bat file if needed as this will correctly set up all the paths within XAMPP to reflect your installation path - this may help to eliminate most path issues from installed scripts now and in the future.

Good luck with your upgrade and please do read the XAMPP for Windows Home page and the FAQ linked from that home page - well worth the time taken, as it has some very useful tips and information.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows