Can you replicate this incorrect path issue if the upgrade path is not the default C:\xampp?
1. Ran upgrade 1.7.2 -> 1.7.3
2. Selected C:\xampp4 as the Destination Folder - existing 'out of the box' and fully functional XAMPP 1.7.2 version folder.
setup_xampp.bat file wrote:"I have found some updates.
Should I install them now?
(Please make sure that all XAMPP components are stopped!)
Your choice? (y/x=exit setup): y"
3. Hit enter to selected default y to install updates found.
4. Hit any key to finish.
5. Next select x to exit.
6. Go to C:\xampp4\php\pear.ini - see that the paths are all now C:\xampp44\
7. Checked all other paths in C:\xampp4 folder and see everywhere that all updated paths are now C:\xampp44
Selecting x to exit setup_xampp.bat without updating leaves all paths at C:\xampp4\
I discovered this when trying to run pear upgrade in a shell, which of course failed miserably and nothing else, of course, would run either.
Without running the setup.bat file my upgrade to 1.7.3 seems to be responding just fine.
Any edits I can make in any of the upgrade files to eliminate this issue if the Destination Folder location is not C:\xampp?
Important! - to other users who want to upgrade to 1.7.3 it is advisable to make a backup copy of your 1.7.2 installation folder first.
I made a backup copy of my xampp4 folder in my C:\ partition so I had C:\Copy of xampp4 that I could revert to for further testing of this issue.