Symbolic links under Windows 7

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Symbolic links under Windows 7

Postby Sleep Supermeister » 13. December 2009 12:24

Hello,

I just installed the latest version of XAMPP on my Windows 7 and I have a problem concerning symbolic links: I usually don't store my websites in the htdocs folder directly, but in a separate folder outside the xampp folder; then I place symbolic links to these folders in the htdocs folder. This worked perfectly on Windows Vista. On Windows 7, however, it doesn't. It works for html files, but not for php files. If I attempt to open a php file, it gives me the following error:

Code: Select all
Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required 'ABSOLUTE PATH TO THE FILE I TRYED TO OPEN GOES HERE' (include_path='.;D:\xampp\php\PEAR') in Unknown on line 0

This even happens if there is no php code in the file. And the same happens with junctions as well. Any idea why this isn't working anymore? I'm at a loss... Thanks in advance.
Sleep Supermeister

Re: Symbolic links under Windows 7

Postby Wiedmann » 13. December 2009 12:32

then I place symbolic links to these folders in the htdocs folder ... It works for html files, but not for php files.

It's a bug in PHP.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Sleep Supermeister » 13. December 2009 13:43

I see. That is unfortunate. Was this bug introduced with the new version? I'm just wondering, because it worked before (on Vista). Don't know which xampp version I used then, though. Anyway, is there a workaround? Or do I have to move my folders to the htdocs folder until this is fixed? :(
Sleep Supermeister

Postby Wiedmann » 13. December 2009 15:22

Was this bug introduced with the new version?

It was introduced with PHP5.3.0.

is there a workaround?

Don't use PHP5.3.0 or move/copy your folders.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Sleep Supermeister » 13. December 2009 17:49

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll just downgrade then. :|
Sleep Supermeister

Return to XAMPP for Windows