Newbie completely messed up XAMPP install, needs help!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Newbie completely messed up XAMPP install, needs help!

Postby tiffany03411 » 27. November 2009 17:39

Hey,

I'm a HTML and CSS programmer who's just starting into working with PHP and MSQL, which is why I decided to install XAMPP. However, I've made a big mess of the installation process. I was using instructions that turned out to be old, so I ended up 'winging' my way through the install (that was a bad idea). I ended up installing it somewhere I didn't want it installed, so I had to move it, (another bad idea) and after several days of frustration I think I've finally got everything where it should be...except now Apache and MSQL won't start because their executable paths are wrong, and I can't figure out how to change them to the new paths. I've gone to the XAMPP setup control page and relocated the files, but it didn't do anything. Also, I did have MSQl, Apache and PHP installed on my computer before, but I removed them before installing XAMPP.

I'm not sure exactly what I've done or if I have everything where it should be. I've been considering just completely uninstalling XAMPP and starting over, but I'm not sure how to do this, either.

Can someone give the clueless newbie some advice? :)
tiffany03411

Re: Newbie completely messed up XAMPP install, needs help!

Postby Izzy » 27. November 2009 23:01

Missing support info - what XAMPP version and which Windows OS?
So assuming latest stable XAMPP version.

The readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder may help with uninstalling and these 2 pages are worth a read both before and after installation.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xampp-windows.html
Izzy

Re: Newbie completely messed up XAMPP install, needs help!

Postby tiffany03411 » 30. November 2009 16:04

Thanks so much! The readme file had all the information I needed in it, and in the end I didn't have to uninstall XAMPP. Hopefully I won't make such a mess again... :oops:
tiffany03411

Return to XAMPP for Windows