Unable to connect to MySQL with more than one user at a time

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Unable to connect to MySQL with more than one user at a time

Postby charlene » 24. November 2009 07:14

We installed Joomla using the XAMPP server on a common network and everything works fine on one computer. When we tried to work on another computer on the network, it would not allow both of us to connect to the MySql at the same time. When one computer stopped the MySql in the XAMPP control panel the other person was able to access and vice versa.

This is a major problem as we need to have several people working on this localhost site simultaneously. Please help us figure this out, unfortunately, we are not able to run our data online, we have to keep it in the office. Basically, the localhost should allow multiple computers at the same time right?? Thanks!
charlene

Re: Unable to connect to MySQL with more than one user at a time

Postby Nobbie » 24. November 2009 10:44

charlene wrote:We installed Joomla using the XAMPP server on a common network and everything works fine on one computer. When we tried to work on another computer on the network, it would not allow both of us to connect to the MySql at the same time. When one computer stopped the MySql in the XAMPP control panel the other person was able to access and vice versa.

Sorry, I dont understand that. Will you explain more precisely? How can one access to MySQL when it is stopped???

charlene wrote:Basically, the localhost should allow multiple computers at the same time right??

No. Basically localhost is localhost, this is only the local PC (IP is 127.0.0.1) and you cannot connect to "localhost" from different PC, as "localhost" means always the PC himself. You even dont need a LAN for running TCPIP on "localhost". So if you want to connect from one PC to another, you MUST NOT connect to "localhost", but to a different IP (or domain name) in your LAN.
Nobbie

Postby ym_chaitu » 24. November 2009 11:41

hai
under the mysql database
give a user with the name what ever u are using and give the host name as the ips of the machines that u want to access the database or else if u want all the machines to get connected give as % in the host name..
this will do the connection..
--
Chaitanya Babu Yanamadala
www.drvirusindia.co.cc
ym_chaitu

Postby charlene » 25. November 2009 04:03

Chaitu, thanks for the solution, can you please help me locate the file that I need to edit. I'm more of a graphic designer so I'm new to database stuff. Thanks
charlene

Return to XAMPP for Windows