SMTP 520 authentication error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

SMTP 520 authentication error

Postby carnage » 09. November 2009 15:42

Hi I am trying to configure mail() in xampp and I cant get it to work, I have set SMTP to mail.btinternet.com and port is set to 25 and now it comes up with this message
'Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 530 authentication required - "Your email could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit www.btyahoo.com/smtp"'

I have been to the advice website and followed the instructions which don't really make sense( i cant do it automatically because I am using Win 7) and it still doesn't work

How can i get it to work?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks,
Matt
carnage

Re: SMTP 520 authentication error

Postby Nobbie » 09. November 2009 16:20

You cannot use the standard PHP mail() function, if the specified SMTP Server needs basic authorization. PHP mail()does not support authorization.

You either must setup a local SMTP Relay (like Mercury SMTP Relay), which relays the mail to remote SMTP Server and supports authorization, or use a sophisticated mail class (instead of mail() function) like the phpmailer class from phpmailer.sourceforge.net
Nobbie

Postby aj123cd » 10. November 2009 07:50

aj123cd

Postby Izzy » 10. November 2009 08:01

@ aj123cd
The OP requires authentication but this is not possible in the links you posted as outlined in Nobbie's post.

@ carnage
There is an alternate solution included in XAMPP that you can use and I have linked below a search that may provide the answers:
Advanced Forum Search for sendmail
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows