we are observing a strange phenomen since quite a time:
Every once in a while our sendmail - wrapper (fake sendmail for bugzilla/windows
glob.com.au/sendmail) seems not to quit correctly after having transfered an email to our mailserver.
We have a form in our intranet, where you click on "send", then the data is inserted into a DB, an email is generated and sent and normally another website with the confirmation of your successful posting is displayed.
In case fake sendmail gets chaught, the web page with the form does not disappear, the request for the answer page gets a timeout. But all the data is inserted correctly, and the email has been generated and sent.
We discoverd that the caught fake sendmail processes leave open cmd.exe - processes on the server. Closing them helps only for a moment, to really solve the problem (temporarily) you have to restart apache. Then it continues without problems, for a couple of hours, days or even weeks...
It's a Windows 2000 server, fake sendmail version 26 (apr 1, 2009), XAMPP Windows Version 1.6.8
We've goolged a lot, but so far I didn't find anybody with the same problem.
Any hint is welcome!!!
Thanks a lot, Sugus