Problem with XAMPP 1.7.2 and PHP 5.3.0.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Problem with XAMPP 1.7.2 and PHP 5.3.0.

Postby BeginnerB » 21. October 2009 13:06

Hi -

After talking with Joomla support, I understand that there is a known issue with XAMPP 1.7.2 and PHP 5.3.0. My options are to install a new patch from Joomla (only in test phase) or downgrade to XAMPP 1.7.1. I am going to downgrade as the web host platforms don't have the latest version anyway.

My question is how should I do the downgrade? Should I stop the services and delete the directory? Then, download and install the older version 1.7.1? Will I lose anything in this process? DO ineed to back up any files before doing this? If so, what files?

thanks for your help.
BeginnerB

Re: Problem with XAMPP 1.7.2 and PHP 5.3.0.

Postby Izzy » 22. October 2009 05:36

BeginnerB wrote:My question is how should I do the downgrade? Should I stop the services and delete the directory?
Yes but see below before deleting the directory.

BeginnerB wrote:Then, download and install the older version 1.7.1?
Yes but see below.

BeginnerB wrote:Will I lose anything in this process? DO ineed to back up any files before doing this? If so, what files?
Instead of deleting the xampp folder of 1.7.2 after you have stopped and removed the service, simply make a copy of the existing xampp folder by dragging to a new location in the C:\ drive, it will create a file called Copy of XAMPP.

Then when you have installed your older 1.7.1 version you can copy over your own files and folders you want to use from 1.7.2 htdocs folder, also your own database folders in the C:\mysql\data folder - do not copy any system database folders, yours will have the name of your databases as the folder names.

When you are happy you have all the files you need, then it would be safe to delete the Copy of xampp folder.

Good luck.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows