Start menu/Apache Friends/XAMPP missing on Vista 64

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Start menu/Apache Friends/XAMPP missing on Vista 64

Postby Aeneas » 21. October 2009 12:38

After downloading and installing all 3 .EXE's for XAMPP for Windows, I find that the "Start menu/Apache Friends/XAMPP" capability does Not appear in my start menu.
Which installation is responsible for installing this Start Menu content ?
Q6600//Windows Vista Ultimate 64//6 GB Sdram//
Aeneas

Re: Start menu/Apache Friends/XAMPP missing on Vista 64

Postby Izzy » 22. October 2009 05:59

Aeneas wrote:After downloading and installing all 3 .EXE's for XAMPP for Windows
What are these 3 EXE files you mention and why try and install more than 1 versions of XAMPP when for most the full Basic Package plus the Tomcat addon is all that is usually required?

Aeneas wrote:Which installation is responsible for installing this Start Menu content ?
This question is answered on the XAMPP for Windows home page in the installation instructions.

BTW, you are logged into Vista as an administrator and have disabled UAC before attempting to install a complex set of files and folders that may require to write to Vista system folders?

AFAIK the full Basic Package version of XAMPP does most of the work automagically when you answer the questions in the installation setup script.

BTW if what you want is not done automagically during install then you can always add to the start menu folder anything you want manually - you can even create manually shortcuts on the desktop to those files you want to access frequently.
Izzy

Re: Start menu/Apache Friends/XAMPP missing on Vista 64

Postby Aeneas » 22. October 2009 12:20

I still do not see "Start menu/Apache Friends/XAMPP" .
Where exactly does this appear ?

Now I see XAMPP for Windows and XAMPP Lite for Windows in the Start menu.
Maybe it just required a Windows Vista reboot.
Maybe I missed a message demanding I reboot.

I installed files:
xampp-win32-1.7.2
xampp-tomcat-addon-win32-6.0.20
and I think:
xampplite-win32-1.7.2

Logged in as Admin but have not disabled UAC or virus protection.
Normal installation of all applications I have experienced on Windows Vista does not require disable of these protections.
Aeneas

Return to XAMPP for Windows