A custom installation?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

A custom installation?

Postby Theoden » 16. October 2009 23:19

I have been testing the XAMPP package and I am impressed. It is a very nice balance of simplicity and complete features. I would like to use it as a custom installation to distribute my own database with the MySQL server.

Would that be possible?

Since this is a commercial use, I would expect to make a donation to your cause.

Bruce Rowe
Theoden

Re: A custom installation?

Postby Izzy » 16. October 2009 23:40

Just about everyone who installs XAMPP would customize it to some degree to suit their particular requirements.

So you would have to be more specific as to what you mean by your general request.
I would like to use it as a custom installation to distribute my own database with the MySQL server.

Please read the readme_en.txt file re Security recommendations.
Izzy

Postby Theoden » 19. October 2009 23:22

I would like to have the ability to add some features, specifically for my customers. What I want to is distribute:
My own MySQL database with my own users and permissions
My own set of PHP scripts
Each distribution would be specific for each customer.

I can compile an installation package here. However I need to know the files that are included in the download and how XAMPP is distributed.

Thank you for your trouble.
Theoden

Postby Izzy » 19. October 2009 23:42

To find out what files are contained in the distribution simply download the 1.7.2 version but instead of double clicking on the exe file, right click and select to open with WinRAR or 7zip as the file is simply a self extracting RAR archive file.

You can then select to extract the archived files to a folder of your choice so you can peruse the files and folders without installing XAMPP.
Izzy

Postby Theoden » 20. October 2009 00:21

My Linux box opened it just fine. I see there are 9,461 files. It looks like setup_xampp.bat is the first one that gets called.

I think I can figure it out from here.

Thank you for your help.

Bruce
Theoden

Return to XAMPP for Windows