Apache start problems

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache start problems

Postby trogladyte » 14. October 2009 19:50

I have just installed the latest version of XAMPP - 1.7.2. I had version 1.6x installed over a year ago but deleted it. I am running Vista Ultimate SP1 32 bit on a Dell Dimension DM061 Dual Core 1.8GHz with 4Gb RAM.

I am having no luck getting Apache to start either manually or as a SVC. The log in the XAMPP control panel claims Apache service started, though I do not get the green message "Running" beside it liek I do for the MySQL service (I have set them both as a service to make them load on start up). I looked through the documentation and saw a note about Skype hogging port 80 so disabled that and rebooted Skype. No change. Accessing http://localhost/ takes me to the MS IIS slashscreen. So Apache (and by association XAMPP) are not working. Also, I saw someone ask another user with problems to do a port check to see what was going on. If I do that, I get the briefest of flashes on my screen (a command window) but it never stays open so I am unable to say what it is telling me. The other user was able to see it. Is there a manual way to run this rather than clicking the button in control panel?

I am not really that clued up in this area of computers so am stumbling along in the dark with no real ideas on even where to start looking, so I apologise if my info is too vague or thin for proper diagnosis. 1/6 was a breeze. Installed and ran perfectly first up.

Digging through the forums I found where the error log for Apache is (DOH, it was pretty obvious when I read where it was!). Checking in it, I find this error relating to the problem... "(OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down"

Hope this helps.

Ian
Last edited by trogladyte on 14. October 2009 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
trogladyte

Re: Apache start problems

Postby Wiedmann » 14. October 2009 20:02

Accessing http://localhost/ takes me to the MS IIS slashscreen. So Apache (and by association XAMPP) are not working. Also, I saw someone ask another user with problems to do a port check to see what was going on.to see what was going on.

There is no need for a program like port check to see what's going on:
Another webserver (MS IIS) is running, and so Apache can't start, because you can have only run one webserver at the same time (which are using the same port).
--> stop MS IIS and you can start Apache.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby trogladyte » 14. October 2009 20:21

Alas, if only computer problems were this easy to fix....

Went into SCM and Disabled IIS, and stopped it. Tried to start Apache - no luck. Thought maybe IIS was still holding onto resources despite being stopped and disabled, so rebooted. IIS definitely not running. Tried to start Apache - failed.

Unchecked SVC against Apache and tried to start - failed. Went into the XAMPP directory and ran the start Apache bat file - failed. Tried to think of something else - FAILED!!!!
trogladyte

Postby Izzy » 15. October 2009 00:34

1. Try logging into Vista as an Administrator to properly run your system services commands or better still consider being a Secret Super Administrator.

2. Right click on bat and exe files and select to Run as Administrator and see if that helps with those files that fail to work.

To disable IIS and to enable and disable the Vista's OS nanny UAC, check out this post:
viewtopic.php?p=134260#p134260

The Port Check button links to \xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe file so right click on this and select to run as admin and it may work.
Last edited by Izzy on 15. October 2009 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby trogladyte » 15. October 2009 00:38

Thanks for the replies but I finally figured it out from another similar problems post. Try going to this topic viewtopic.php?p=134260#p134260 and following it through. When I tried to shut IIS down this way the application appeared to hang so I left it for 5-10 minutes then crahed it with Ctrl-Alt_delete. Despite this it must have shut it down as I can now start Apache successfully.

I register this formally - I HATE VISTA! :-)
Ian
trogladyte

Return to XAMPP for Windows