XAMPP 1.7.2 Uninstall

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP 1.7.2 Uninstall

Postby Fernlochgirl » 10. October 2009 08:42

Hi everyone!!! I'm new here... Anyway, I've been faffing around a bit and I'm not super happy with the way I've set things up, so I want to uninstall everything, clean up my laptop and start again. BUUUUUT, for some reason, it won't LET me uninstall XAMPP?!?! It keeps telling me I 'need permission' ?!?! IT'S MY COMPUTER!!!! I was working on a Joomla site, so I've removed the Joomla file, inactivated apache, MySQL, etc, etc, etc... in other words, everything I could think of. STILL NO LUCK! I know that technically, I should just 'delete the file' BUT I CANT!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Thank-you :D (oder vielen Dank) ... please feel free to reply if you're German or English - I speak both :)
Never part on an argument - it might be the last time you see each other...
Fernlochgirl

Re: XAMPP 1.7.2 Uninstall

Postby Wiedmann » 10. October 2009 08:54

for some reason, it won't LET me uninstall XAMPP?!?! It keeps telling me I 'need permission' ?!?!

Did you have more Infos?
- OS?
- XAMPP Version?
- INstall location?
- How did you uninstall XAMPP?
- The exact error message?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Izzy » 10. October 2009 08:57

Fernlochgirl wrote:...It keeps telling me I 'need permission'
What keeps telling you this?
Izzy

Postby Fernlochgirl » 10. October 2009 09:24

LOL - can you tell I'm a rookie?! 8) Ok, when I try to uninstall XAMPP 1.7.2 from my computer (which I'm using as my host), it runs quite normally through it's 'recycling' process. When it get's to the end, I get the windows message that says something like, "Windows needs your permission to proceed" and I click "continue". Then it tells me that I need "permission" to move the folder to this destination (ie. recycle bin, I assume), and to try again or cancel, but I can try again until the cows come home :? As I said, being my computer and my system, I'm not sure who's permission it's asking for?!
Fernlochgirl

Postby Izzy » 11. October 2009 00:38

To give you an answer to your issues you still need to answer all the very important troubleshooting questions that Wiedmann asked you, that I don't see in your last reply.

Try running the uninstall_xampp.bat file as an administrator by right clicking on the file to select it.

If you want to run a web server on your PC then in Vista you have to be an administrator not simply a user and it is also recommended that you disable UAC to help when installing and setting up the server.
Izzy

Postby Fernlochgirl » 11. October 2009 01:24

THANK-YOU IZZY :mrgreen: Believe it or not, you said the magic words that made it all fall into place for me, LOL!!!! Namely 'uninstall file' and 'as an administrator' :oops: Everyone had been telling me 'just delete the file' and I COULDN'T!!!! So I did as you said and it worked perfectly! Much obliged. Makes perfect sense too... Have a terrific Sunday :wink:
Fernlochgirl

Postby dknowz » 15. October 2009 17:42

I'm having the same problem.

I'm running windows Xp

XAMPP 1.7.2 , but Installed 1.7.1 without uninstalling The latest version, which is what I think caused the problem.

It's on the C:/ and I'd like to completely remove it to start over. Currently error message is cannot delete http.exe Access is denied
dknowz

Postby Izzy » 15. October 2009 18:05

Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows