XAMPP Dual Install???

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP Dual Install???

Postby discsox » 10. October 2009 07:32

Is it possible to install 2 versions of XAMPP on the same machine? Obviously in different directories.
The reason is version 1.7.2 uses PHP Version 5.3.0 and 1.7.1 uses PHP Version 5.2.9.
I have an application that generates all kinds of warnings when using PHP 5.3. These warnings are all very useful for eventually fixing things but for test purposes I cannot have these warnings (turning off warnings makes the app work but then I cannot debug other issues).
So I would like to have a XAMPP 1.7.1 installed in parallel to 1.7.2. Is that possible or will I end up with a Windows registry mess and other conflicts???
Just FYI I runWindows 7 64 bit .

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Marcello
discsox

Re: XAMPP Dual Install???

Postby Nobbie » 10. October 2009 10:37

discsox wrote:These warnings are all very useful for eventually fixing things but for test purposes I cannot have these warnings (turning off warnings makes the app work but then I cannot debug other issues).

There is no need for a second Xampp Installation, as you can switch on/off error reporting not only via php.ini, but also at runtime per directory (via .htaccess) as well as per script via ini_set() function call.

You may also define two different NameBased VirtualHosts (one called "debug" and the other called "release" for example), both pointing to the same IP and the same DocumentRoot, one with error reporting on, the other with error reporting off. Then you can start your debug session via http://debug/script.php and see the release version via http://release/script.php (both requests results in the same script.php, but with different error reporting).
Nobbie

Postby discsox » 10. October 2009 17:19

Thank you for your suggestions.
I actually use the directives in the php.ini and the ini_set() function.
I have a catch 22 situation. If I turn of the warnings then the app runs but then other warnings/errors are hidden from view.
Also the production site is running php 5.2.10 (pretty close to 5.2.9). So I would like to test with 5.2.9 AND 5.3.0. Any other way of doing this???

Using name based hosts is a very good idea but will not help in my current scenario.
I will look into the <VirtualHost> definition as it may help me with other setups, thank you.

Cheers Marcello
discsox

Postby Izzy » 11. October 2009 00:53

discsox wrote:Is it possible to install 2 versions of XAMPP on the same machine?
viewtopic.php?p=150362#p150362
Izzy

Postby discsox » 11. October 2009 08:47

Thank you very much for the hints and confirmation. I will give that a try :-)

Cheers Marcello
discsox

Return to XAMPP for Windows