Uninstall Roadblock

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Uninstall Roadblock

Postby OzNick » 02. October 2009 00:57

Hi all, I've been trying to solve this problem for days now with no luck.

I just cannot work out how to uninstall XAMPP !

I installed the latest version of XAMPP on my computer (XP) a couple of weeks ago to work on a Joomla site. I chose XAMPP after reading that the latest WAMPserver was incompatible with the latest Joomla.

After setting all my XAMPP passwords and creating datebases etc etc, I discover that the latest Joomla won't run correctly on latest XAMPP either.

To complicate matters, my wife somehow deleted the XAMPP icon from the system tray so I can't stop it running by just unchecking those boxes.

I have tried just deleting the XAMPP files but it won't let me. I have tried running XAMPP uninstall through the program menu but nothing happens.

I want to uninstall the latest XAMPP from my computer and then download a previous version that is compatible with Joomla.

Please, can somebody tell me how to stop this thing?!?! :shock:
OzNick

Re: Uninstall Roadblock

Postby Izzy » 02. October 2009 07:06

I take it that after trying to delete the xampp folder some of the files were actually deleted and some were not.

Right click on the Windows Task Bar and select the Task Manager>Processes Tab.

Now look for any apache and mysql processes and select them, then click on the button End Process.

Answer Yes when asked.

Now try and delete the XAMPP folder.

BTW if you reboot then you will just go round in circles as the NT Services will simply load Apache and MySQL again.
Izzy

Postby OzNick » 02. October 2009 08:26

Thanks Izzy. I'll give that a try when I get back to my home computer.

I'm in Brisbane mate. Is that motel you advertise the one near the hospital?
OzNick

Postby Izzy » 02. October 2009 08:32

OzNick wrote:I'm in Brisbane mate. Is that motel you advertise the one near the hospital?
Both motels are near hospitals - Herston RBWH & RBC - Chermside The Prince Charles.

Good luck with the fix but post back if it fails as we may be able to find another solution.
Izzy

Postby OzNick » 02. October 2009 13:57

Hi Izzy, when I try t delete the xampp folder from c/drive I get a pop-up that says:

"cannot delate httpd.exe: access is denied"

Will shutting things down in the task manager fix that, or is it a p/w needed somewhere.

PS, I've driven past your motel near the Prince Charles many times. Nice little spot you have there.
OzNick

Postby Izzy » 02. October 2009 21:22

OzNick wrote:"cannot delate httpd.exe: access is denied"
This usually means that the process is in use, not a password requirement, and so the process needs to be killed by following my instructions above - so now look for any httpd, apache, mercury, filezilla and mysql processes in the Task Manager and End Process any you find then once again try and delete the xampp folder.

Incidentally, the shortcut that was deleted on your desktop linked to a file in the xampp folder called xampp-control.exe which is the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP).

So double clicking on that file, if it still remains in the xampp folder will open the XCP and allow you to remove the ticks in the Svc boxes which in turn should allow you to delete the xampp folder.

Also if you still have the apache_uninstallservice.bat file in the apache folder and after double clicking on it, it should do the same as removing the ticks in the Svc box for Apache in the XCP.

There is a similar bat file in the mysql folder, the FileZillaFTP folder and the MercuryMail folder and running any or all of those bat files, if they still remain in your xampp folder tree, should remove those services that may be blocking the deletion of the xampp folder.

Good luck.
Izzy

Postby OzNick » 06. October 2009 01:17

Hi Izzy, I suspect a virus.

The system tray icon disappeared, and on examination so had xampp-control.exe.

The bat files you mention above also had vanished. There was no way for me to stop this program and delete it.

I suspect they had dropped in some sort of malicious file, and deleted all methods of removing the folder.

Joomla still displayed OK (albeit with errors due to the incompatible PHP).

I ended up having to use a third-party program to kill the files that wouldn't budge.

Not sure how the virus got in as I have commercial virus software and firewall.

Thanks again for all your help Izzy. Hope the motel biz is treating you well.

All the best ... Nick.
OzNick

Postby Izzy » 06. October 2009 02:50

OzNick wrote:...I suspect a virus.
More than likely not a virus but the way that the Windows OS deletes a folder.

When you select to delete a folder Windows will start and delete files and folders in the tree until it reaches a file that is still in use by a system process - httpd.exe in your case.

When it reaches this file in the delete process it stops with an error message but does not cancel the delete process in total and revert the folder back to the state it was before you commenced the delete process, rather it leaves the folder with only part of the full folder tree remaining.

So you will be left with many files that have been deleted in the xampp folder tree and is why I mentioned to use certain files "if the files still remain".

I also pointed out that there may be another way to uninstall the httpd.exe NT service if the methods I posted failed.

Using your program that deletes sticking files may not have removed the service entries in the registry and so after rebooting and trying to install XAMPP again may lead to unexplained errors.
Izzy

Postby OzNick » 06. October 2009 04:07

Izzy, I tried all those methods you stated above.

The system tray control panel file was missing.

The other files you mentioned had vanished or when I clicked on them they produced no result.

I even ran the unstall script (option A in the Q&A), with no effect.

As for the delete, there were zero files in the recycle bin (I chose the delete folder option) so they did not disappear that way.

Again, thanks for your time and effort.
OzNick

Postby Izzy » 11. October 2009 01:52

I am assuming your are using Vista because of the permissions or access denied issue and so you should run the uninstall script, which is the uninstall_xampp.bat file, as an administrator.

See this identical topic:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37540

It is always important to include your Windows OS as well as the XAMPP version to help with troubleshooting.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows