issues with xampp 1.7.2 and windows7 32bit

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

issues with xampp 1.7.2 and windows7 32bit

Postby GuberX » 23. September 2009 10:47

okay, well i recently installed windows 7 build 7600 32bit on my system, and i went and downloaded the latest version of xampp. i started to noticed most things were not working properly. for starters, xampp never started up when i booted up. the mysql database worked somewhat, was only able to use phpMyAdmin but once i went to view my pages i've made they could never connect to the db. i checked over and over the user login for the db and everything was correct. but still nothing, even tried changing the user login for it and still nothing. This became very frustrating. I even removed xampp and reinstalled it of course doing the rightclick and run as admin. just never wanted to work proper. my only solution so far was to actually downgrade to 1.6.6 which was what i used last on my XP Pro system. and everything worked fine.

how come between the latest version and the older version are different like that. dont you think the latest version would still work just like the old one but with fixes here and there?
GuberX

Re: issues with xampp 1.7.2 and windows7 32bit

Postby Izzy » 27. September 2009 11:21

Try starting apache using the apache_start.bat file and paste back any error messages as to the reason it can't start.

Look in the apache error.log file for any other clues.

Look in the mysql error.log file in the mysql\data folder for clues why you are having issues with MySQL.

1.7.2 works 'out of the box' for millions of XAMPP users so you must be doing something wrong somewhere and if you select the defaults in the setup script when installing XAMPP 1.7.2 then 99.99% of the time all the XAMPP components will work together in harmony.
Izzy

Postby jcolvard » 27. September 2009 22:44

Yea, millions of XP and Vista users. As far as i can tell windows 7 breaks something in all *ampp builds. It sucks, I've installed Xampp, wampserver, wamp5, and easyphp and none of them allow connection to mySQl Database. To be clear, on Win7 64bit Apache works great, just with no database connectivity. sseriously, the phpmyadmin page will say loading until i get sick of it and kill the process. mySql logs all look fine, no erorrs in apache log... So, yea, millions of downloads on existing platforms, but how many on Win7? Any? I'd like to know. cause so far, its zero for 5 against XAMPP over here.
jcolvard

Postby Izzy » 28. September 2009 00:01

I don't see W7 is yet compatible with XAMPP, do you?
http://www.apachefriends.org/winxampp/w ... urrent.txt

On the XAMPP for Windows Home Page:
For Windows 2000, 2003, XP, VISTA.

So if you want to play with XAMPP on an unsupported OS then please expect that you will hit snags.

When and if it is added to the above list then it may be possible to answer your W7/XAMPP related questions on this forum.

You could of course try the MySQL web site for your MySQL compatibility issues with W7.
Izzy

Postby jcolvard » 28. September 2009 01:27

:roll: I understand the lack of OS support. The issue appears to be within Win7 not XAMPP (or similar projects.)

My plan is to setup a local server using each components distribution package and see if i can isolate the mySQL issue. I'll post back anything interesting i find.
jcolvard

Return to XAMPP for Windows