How do I remove XAMPP from Windows machine?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How do I remove XAMPP from Windows machine?

Postby JohnBoi » 22. September 2009 17:53

I installed XAMPP to use Joomla locally. This whole thing failed. Joomla never operated correctly. I tried to remove using uninstall utility - that failed. Next tried to simply delete the files -- that failed. Nothing about this whole thing is working correctly and I am sorry I even started this venture. Now I just want to return my machine back to normal state and I will forget about XAMPP and Joomla entirely. Can someone provide the information on how to rid my machine of the XAMPP files completely. Oh, there is no Control Panel either as it was deleted - that was one success (naturally). I think I may end up having to reformat my entire hard drive - Yech!
JohnBoi

Re: How do I remove XAMPP from Windows machine?

Postby PTO » 22. September 2009 19:59

I use XAMPP on a Windows localhost and Joomla works flawlessly for me. There must be something wrong with the way you set it up.

Anyway, if you really must give up, just delete the xampp folder and everything in it.

HTH

Mike
PTO

Postby Gadrin » 22. September 2009 21:52

Gadrin

Postby JohnBoi » 22. September 2009 22:27

I really like the idea of Joomla, but I kept getting all of these error messages all over. The main menu on the opening page of Joomla was filled with garbage messages.

I tried simply deleting the files, but the Apache folder has several "protected" files one of which is Apache.exe. Cannot delete this one no matter how hard I try.

I wish it had worked "flawlessly" as I probably would be inclined to continue to learn it. Maybe I will try to reinstall it later. I do recall there was one item on the install where the recommended state was "Off" and there was a red "On" for my install. Yep it was for the Display Error category. Probably why it never worked for me as there was no way to change the status of this item. The rest of the items on the page were all the same as the recommended status.

Since the files indicated in method "a" are all gone, I am still left with files which I cannot delete.
JohnBoi

Postby JohnBoi » 23. September 2009 00:02

Thanks everyone for the help!

I finally was able to delete the files after a cold reboot.

Now, I will think about trying to get a "flawlessly" operating system going. I read the XAMPP 1.7.2 is not compatible in certain areas (php) with Joomla 1.5. So, I have downloaded XAMPP 1.7.1, which is apparently more stable and compatible with Joomla 1.5. Maybe that will give me the kind of results I am after.

Thanks again!
JohnBoi

Postby PTO » 23. September 2009 13:31

JohnBoi wrote:Thanks everyone for the help!

I finally was able to delete the files after a cold reboot.

Now, I will think about trying to get a "flawlessly" operating system going. I read the XAMPP 1.7.2 is not compatible in certain areas (php) with Joomla 1.5. So, I have downloaded XAMPP 1.7.1, which is apparently more stable and compatible with Joomla 1.5. Maybe that will give me the kind of results I am after.

Thanks again!

I use Xampp 1.7.1 with Joomla 1.5.14. I've even installed them on a memory stick for portability. A bit slow, but works fine.

Mike
PTO

Re: Portable XAMPP

Postby Gadrin » 23. September 2009 18:12

PTO wrote:
I use Xampp 1.7.1 with Joomla 1.5.14. I've even installed them on a memory stick for portability. A bit slow, but works fine.

Mike

Neat, That doesn't require any special install tricks right ?

Then you just need to start the Apache service on the new machine (or any others you're using)
right ?

>
Gadrin

Postby PTO » 24. September 2009 12:01

That's right, it's a normal installation. Unzip the files onto the memory stick then run setup_xampp.bat. Start the XAMPP Control Panel, ignore the error message about directory mismatch and off you go.

It works perfectly, and so does Joomla. Just a bit slower than running it from the hard drive.
PTO

Return to XAMPP for Windows