Localhost stopped after installation of kaspersky

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Localhost stopped after installation of kaspersky

Postby tsunami » 22. September 2009 11:40

Hello,

I was using XAMPP 1.7.1 on my Windows Vista Home Premium, and was working on an academic project for developing a website (and everything worked just fine). Recently i had installed Kaspersky Internet security (trial), and the next day when i opened http://localhost/ I was shocked to see that it just kept on loading, and eventually the progress bar stuck to the middle. Now neither the phpmyadmin nor anything else works, I even tried XAMPP 1.7.2 but no luck. Before posting here I tried all possible things,

1. tried telnet localhost 80, it opens up a blank screen (indicating that apache works) but when i type GET /index.html it does not give any output.
2. I had changed the host file in etc folder, and commented the line :: localhost (suggested on one of the forums) no luck here too!!
3. port check also suggests that port 80 is for apache

Service Port Status
Apache (HTTP) 80 System
Apache (WebDAV) 81 free
Apache (HTTPS) 443 System
MySQL 3306 System
and so on

now i wonder what else should i do, as besides these also i have tried various things

i hope that someone here comes to my rescue, I need to start this work soon, I cant delay it much, and also i am getting irritated with this. PLease help.
tsunami

Re: Localhost stopped after installation of kaspersky

Postby CrimsonBeer » 23. September 2009 01:37

I can't get 1.71 to install on my Windows Vista Business with Kaspersky AV. It installs but Apache doesn't start correctly, the "Admin" button is disabled, and I can't get any php pages to display.

However 1.7.2 installs fine, but has the disadvantage of using php 5.3. It would be great if XAMPP had an easy way to switch to a different version of php.
CrimsonBeer

Postby Izzy » 23. September 2009 02:02

If people are having issues with Kaspersky or any other AV or firewall then the best place is the offender's web site for support.

Most of these utilities have a configuration or setup facility to eliminate any of these possible issues related to XAMPP ports etc.

Try temporarily disabling Kaspersky or any other AV/firewall then try and start Apache again.

You should then know for sure if it is indeed the AV utility blocking access.

@CrimsonBeer
Your issue with 1.7.1 may well be unrelated to Kaspersky but may be a firewall issue.

Try starting apache using the apache_start.bat file as it will usually tell why it can't start.

Check your ports are free using the xampp-portcheck.exe utility.
Izzy

Postby CrimsonBeer » 23. September 2009 02:08

Thanks Izzy,

I did disable Kaspersky, and Windows firewall, but still couldn't get 1.71 to work - although I didn't disable and reboot?

1.72 installed and worked "out-of-the-box" so something has obviously been "improved" with the new release.

I would like to be able to use 1.72 with php 5.2 though, then I'd be really happy! :D
CrimsonBeer

Return to XAMPP for Windows