phpMyAdmin error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

phpMyAdmin error

Postby wrecker69 » 07. September 2009 15:44

:?: :? I love this forum. Lots of great info and help. But, after searching for about an hour I cannot find the answer to my problem.

I am running XAMPP v-1.7.1 on a Windows XP Home system. I did the basic install and after finding some good configuration (security etc.) videos on YouTube I seemed to have everything running ok.

I installed Wordpress v-2.8.1. I set up a temp blog and then installed the Flexibility2 1.0 theme and still ok. I upgraded it to the FlexSqueeze 1.0 theme and this is where the problems start. After trying to save changes that I made within the theme I got an error and after asking for help on some forum (not sure which now) I was told that I should check and modify the file permissions.

I then went into my local host phpmyadmin and after trying to access the wordpress db I see this error...Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

If this is the problem, what should I do? If the problem may be something else, then I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks, Richard. :)
wrecker69

Re: phpMyAdmin error

Postby Wiedmann » 07. September 2009 15:58

I installed Wordpress ... then installed the Flexibility2 ... upgraded it to the FlexSqueeze ... I got an error and after asking for help on some forum (not sure which now)

Neither Wordpress nor Flexibility2 nor FlexSqueeze is from Apachefriends. So that's the wrong forum.

Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

That's another problem. You have changed any MySQL passwords (or something else in MySQL or phpMYAdmin) during your work with these YouTube videos?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby wrecker69 » 07. September 2009 16:49

You have changed any MySQL passwords (or something else in MySQL or phpMYAdmin) during your work with these YouTube videos?

Yes I did change passwords etc. but everything worked fine. I had no problems with anything except Flexsqueeze. I understand it is not covered by this forum but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. My problem trying to fix Flexsqueeze seems to be the permissions. Is that not done through phpMyAdmin? Would that not be the Wordpress db permissions? If so, then whats up with that error... Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

Could I fix the problem by installing a new version of XAMPP? If so, is there a way to just update it in order to save any content?

Thanks, Richard
wrecker69

Postby Wiedmann » 07. September 2009 17:01

Yes I did change passwords etc. ... Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

Which passwords have you changed in MySQL?
--> if you change the passwords for "root" or "pma", you must also adjust the "config.inc.php" from phpMyAdmin.

My problem trying to fix Flexsqueeze seems to be the permissions. Is that not done through phpMyAdmin?

Is this error message about MySQL permissions, or some other pemissions?

BTW: If you understand you right, Flexsqueeze is a part of Wordpress. And if Wordpress can connect to the database, this should be also possible for Flexsqueeze. But I have really no idea about thiese programs and how are they working.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby wrecker69 » 07. September 2009 18:12

Which passwords have you changed in MySQL?
--> if you change the passwords for "root" or "pma", you must also adjust the "config.inc.php" from phpMyAdmin.

Yes I made modifications the "root" and "pma" passwords as well as adding a new user name and password. Everything was working fine. I still have no problems loging in to either xampp OR phpMyAdmin.

Is this error message about MySQL permissions, or some other pemissions?

This might be the problem. Due to a lack of knowledge I am not totally sure. What I think the other person who is trying to help me means is if I was using an ftp to my sites webhost, once there I would go in and chmod permissions. But I am using XAMPP so I am not exactly sure.

Thanks, Richard.
wrecker69

Postby Wiedmann » 07. September 2009 18:34

Yes I made modifications the "root" and "pma" passwords

In MySQL and in the phpMyAdmin configuration file?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby wrecker69 » 07. September 2009 19:07

In MySQL and in the phpMyAdmin configuration file?

Yes
wrecker69

Postby Wiedmann » 07. September 2009 20:07

Well, if you have chnaged the pma password in the config.inc.php to the same as in MySQL, and phpMyAdmin can't connect to the DB with this user, MySQL is normally not running.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows