Cant access from external location

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cant access from external location

Postby SirChick » 05. September 2009 18:53

Hey,

Im trying to allow people to access my localhost via my ip but it doesn't load up... i don't get why...localhost works but when i view my ip/file.php suddenly it hangs for ever and it won't load.... is there some setting i have to change to allow it?

Hope you can help.
SirChick

Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

Re: Cant access from external location

Postby Wiedmann » 05. September 2009 21:50

Im trying to allow people to access my localhost via my ip ... but when i view my ip/file.php ...

And is it working for the people?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby SirChick » 05. September 2009 22:57

Nope, it work for any one who tries to access my localhost via my IP address.... :( Something is stopping it.
SirChick

Postby Wiedmann » 05. September 2009 23:19

it work for any one who tries to access my localhost via my IP address

If it's work for anyone, what's the problem? You don't want that people can access your server? (maybe I misunderstood you)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby SirChick » 05. September 2009 23:30

oops sorry thats a typo... it "didn't" work for any one including my self viewing my own ip . :P My bad, not feeling well today been making many silly typo mistakes.
SirChick

Postby Wiedmann » 05. September 2009 23:44

it "didn't" work for any one including my self viewing my own ip .

OK.

Assuming a default XAMPP installation, Apache is listening to all incoming connections.
--> So you have to verify your firewall or router settings.

BTW:
It's (can be) normal that you self can't use your external ip. So someone else have to test this.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby SirChick » 05. September 2009 23:51

Well i do have a router, but i put my ip in to the DMZ.. i should add i have managed to get it to work before (on vista) now im on Windows 7 and it hangs when i attempt it... so i don't think its the router as settings have no changed since vista.

That leaves W7 firewall... what can i do to add to the firewall to see if it will work ?

EDIT:
Should i check my error logs to see if there is a connect log that can help see what is stopping it ?
SirChick

Postby Wiedmann » 06. September 2009 00:05

Should i check my error logs to see if there is a connect log that can help see what is stopping it ?

You can check your "access.log", to see if there is a connection attempt.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby SirChick » 06. September 2009 00:15

No logs made im afraid, only logs are made when i view with localhost/index.php method.... with ip no log is made... what does that mean?
SirChick

Postby Wiedmann » 06. September 2009 00:36

with ip no log is made... what does that mean?

That the connection does not reach the webserver. Something is blocking it.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby kradical » 06. September 2009 01:40

What are you using for a firewall? I was using Nod32 for AntiVirus and for Firewall, I had to switch the firewall mode to allow other PC's on my home LAN to gain access.
kradical

Postby Dominiczek » 12. September 2009 14:11

Hello Guys!
I'm Dominik
I am spending a lot of time on hosting my website on my pc home server.
I can not get it to work from outside, from inside the router windows shows up.
I have Linksys Router WRTU54G-TM, and Comcast ISP - which is a bitch, because they did not let me get static ip, even additional IP, even additional account. So I have Dyndns Updater, for now I have a free domain name just for testing, if I will get it to work, I am going to buy a couple of dyndns domainnames, for my dream websites. I forwarded the ports listed below. Do I need to do the triggering port stuff? DNZ is enabled. DHCP is enabled. Firewalled is disabled in the router. dyndns.org is set up in the router, because it's got the option for it.

If I don't have static ip, and I have Comcast should I set my TCP/IP in Local area connections to static or what or I should leave to obtain automatically?

Looks like that dyndns 3.1.0 is working properly. Is there any way I can check if it works properly?

I am using appache 2.0 as a server. I added there ports; 80, 8080, 443, even 21, 22, 23, 25. The IP is the same as my ISP's. The domain name is dominiczek.mine.nu - again just for testing for the start.
In the host file in my windows my ip is set up to the same as my ISP and domain name.

I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
I forwarded the ports in Windows Firewall.
I have windows Defender
I have Kasperky Antivirus, free one - which is the best - I totally recomend it.

If I forgot something to provide, just aske me questions. Sorry for too much questions, but I am sure that my experience will help somebody in the future.
I hope you can help me out here, I really need these website to work.
DynDns guys help me out please!
Guys Thanks in advance!
Dominiczek

Return to XAMPP for Windows