V 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 Observations and comments

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

V 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 Observations and comments

Postby Stephen_81D » 04. September 2009 06:30

Hello All

tonight I have installed v1.7.1 and v1.7.2 on a USB key

the Goal is to Test Joomla and Drupal

After the installation of v1.7.2 I discovered that Joomla currently does not support PHP 5.3 so I then went to install v1.7.1

Here are my comments

I wanted to have Both v 1.7.1 and v1.7.2 on my USB key

to do so I wanted
E:/Xampp171
E:/Xampp172
to be my top most Dirs.

upon going to download v1.7.1 I hit my fist stumbling block, the "xampp-win32-1.7.1" is a 7 zip package so Windows 7 RC does not launch it as a exe file but instead as a 7zip self extracting file. so I can't run the installation.
I then Download "xampp-win32-1.7.1-installer" and it installed nicely for me in E:/xampp171

I now go to xampp-win32-1.7.2
The installation does not permit me to rename the folder it installs to, I can install it to E:/xampp172/xampp, but then it is not installed to the top most directory, this makes it a bit of a pain if someone wants to run xampp 1.7.2 from a Portable Medium.

Just a comments, I am a relative noob to this stuff, so maybe I am missing something and can get my comments solved so that none of this is a problem, and if not, then they are just Observation from a Noobie about something that was troublesome for an evening.
Stephen_81D

Re: V 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 Observations and comments

Postby Izzy » 04. September 2009 06:59

Here are a couple of work arounds that rely on you having the freeware 7Zip program installed or the commercial WinRAR prog.- but may work with other archive progs that support the 7Zip format.

Right click on the 1.7.2 exe file and select to Open Archive in 7zip or Open with WinRAR from the context menu.

You will see the xampp folder, open the folder and drag all the files and folders into your desired location - E:/Xampp172

Then run setup_xampp.bat file and select to install to a portable device without drive letters, USB.

Job done.

Alternatively you can simply drag all the files that the self extraction creates in E:/Xampp172/xampp into your desired location E:/Xampp172 then run the setup_xampp.bat file again this time check out the menu items for item 2 Relocate XAMPP and follow the prompts.
Job done!
Izzy

Postby Stephen_81D » 04. September 2009 07:07

Thank you Izzy

This has become my work around

I install it as is to E:/xampp

then I change the dir manually by renaming it E:/xampp

then I run the xampp_control application
I select "Set up"
the select "Relocate XAMPP" ( Option 2)
then the xampp files make xampp172 the home dir.
Stephen_81D

Postby Neustradamus » 21. September 2009 14:38

Where is xampp-win32-1.7.2-installer ? I search and I do not find.
Neustradamus

Postby Izzy » 21. September 2009 23:37

Neustradamus wrote:Where is xampp-win32-1.7.2-installer ? I search and I do not find.
...but you did read this on the XAMPP for Windows Home Page didn't you as I see you quote this home page from time to time in your other posts on these forums?
Code: Select all
 You can download XAMPP for Windows in two different variations:

Self-extracting RAR archive:
    Easy and safe: XAMPP as self-extracting RAR archive with autostart of the setup script.

ZIP archive:
    For purists: XAMPP as ordinary ZIP archive.
There was no need to search then was there as I am sure you knew the answer to your own question?

For others reading this topic who may also be confused - there is no Windows Installer version any more as 1.7.2. now uses a setup script in the form of the setup_xampp.bat file (this loads automagically in the self extracting EXE version file xampp-win32-1.7.2.exe - see the installation instructions on the Home Page).
Izzy

Postby Neustradamus » 22. September 2009 15:58

Izzy wrote:
Neustradamus wrote:Where is xampp-win32-1.7.2-installer ? I search and I do not find.
...but you did read this on the XAMPP for Windows Home Page didn't you as I see you quote this home page from time to time in your other posts on these forums?
Code: Select all
 You can download XAMPP for Windows in two different variations:

Self-extracting RAR archive:
    Easy and safe: XAMPP as self-extracting RAR archive with autostart of the setup script.

ZIP archive:
    For purists: XAMPP as ordinary ZIP archive.
There was no need to search then was there as I am sure you knew the answer to your own question?

For others reading this topic who may also be confused - there is no Windows Installer version any more as 1.7.2. now uses a setup script in the form of the setup_xampp.bat file (this loads automagically in the self extracting EXE version file xampp-win32-1.7.2.exe - see the installation instructions on the Home Page).

Yes, I know, but before 1.7.2 it is better...
Neustradamus

Return to XAMPP for Windows