Correcting paths

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Correcting paths

Postby devuser » 15. August 2009 13:58

I had been using EasyPHP but wanted to give XAmpp a try. Not wanting to disrupt my EasyPHP setup, I used the manual install process for XAmpp and installed it into a temp directory, not thinking about the paths. After testing and deciding to switch, I moved the files to a regular directory and reset the paths in the various files.

This all worked fine except for the service to start XAmpp at startup. The properties for the service showed the path set to the original, temp directory. So I edited that in the registry and searched for any other instance of it but none were found. But the service still won't start. If I try to start it from the services properties window, it says
Windows could not start the Apache 2.2 on local computer
The path in that dialog is
Code: Select all
"E:\Programing\xampp\apache\bin\httpd.exe" -k runservice
The path is correct and the httpd.exe file is there but is that the correct file? If I click on the xampp_start.exe file in the XAmpp directory, apache is started and I can use XAmpp. But I have to do this each time I reboot. Would someone please tell me if I should I do an un-install/install or is there a way to fix this without doing that?
devuser

Re: Correcting paths

Postby Wiedmann » 15. August 2009 14:27

I moved the files to a regular directory and reset the paths in the various files.

By your own, or with the setup script?

This all worked fine except for the service to start XAmpp at startup.

Delete the services an reinstall them.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Re: Correcting paths

Postby devuser » 16. August 2009 13:47

By the time I had realized the problem, I had already been using it and had made a number of changes to files and settings so I moved it on my own, not wanting to lose all of that. Although, in hindsight, it cost me much more time.

I started the control module, unchecked the services and rebooted but both apache and mysql are still listed in services. Apache comes up as stopped but mysql always starts.

I guess I'll go ahead and do a complete uninstall/install. Thanks for trying to help.
devuser

Return to XAMPP for Windows