Apache runs for only one second then it turns off

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache runs for only one second then it turns off

Postby Hens » 01. August 2009 15:35

Hi there!

First of all thank you for all the help you give to us non profesionals.

My problem is this:

I have installed Xampp succesfully then I go to the control panel. I start Mysql and everything is okey. It says running (in green). I do the same to Apache. It turns on for one second with "running" in green and then turns off. When I push on button again it says busy or apache is running, but nothing happens.

What can I do to solve this problem?

Regards
Hens

Re: Apache runs for only one second then it turns off

Postby Izzy » 01. August 2009 23:52

Assuming you installed XAMPP to the default location then run C:\xampp\apache_start.bat file and see what message is returned, as often this will give the reason that Apache will not stay running.
Izzy

Postby TheTub » 02. August 2009 13:13

I have a similar problem but in reverse.

Using the control panel (v 2.5 9 May 2007) I can start Apache. But MySQL runs for less than a second and stops. The status box reports 'Busy MySQL started' but it is not running.

If I run the apache_start.bat file this stalls at 'Apache 2 is starting' and gets no further. I have to use apache_stop to exit.

However, if I start Apache via the control panel and start MySQL by using the mysql_start.bat file then all is OK.
TheTub

Postby Hens » 03. August 2009 12:03

Thanks for the answers!

I tried to run apache_start and this is what it telles me:

"Diese Eingabeforderung nicht waehrend des Running beenden
Bitte erst bei einem gewollten Shutdown schliessen
Please close this command only for Shutdown
Apache 2 is starting ...
(OS 10048)Bare ett bruk av hver enkelt kontaktadresse (protokoll/nettverk adress
e/port) er vanligvis tillatt. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

Apache konnte nicht gestartet werden
Apache could not be started
Trykk en tast for å fortsette..."

However I am not sure what do any further.

I appreciate every further advices,

Regards
Hens

Postby Wiedmann » 03. August 2009 12:14

However I am not sure what do any further.

Stop your other server/programm which is using port 80.

(and of course: search the forum. I guess this is questioned and answered 2-3 times a week...)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Hens » 03. August 2009 13:48

I have searched the forum, but unfortunately not found what I was looking/ did not understand.

I have via a friend found out that port 80 should be free. Could there be another problem?

Thank for all help
Hens

Postby Wiedmann » 03. August 2009 14:04

Could there be another problem?

No. The error message from Apache is clear: port 80 is in use.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby konzine » 05. August 2009 08:04

You wouldnt happen to have skype installed do you? if so, and it's open, close skype first and then run Xampp. You can also go to start>run and do a "Netstat -b" which will show you all incoming connections.
konzine

Postby bytemarks » 10. August 2009 19:51

Thank you, Thank you!
I simply closed the Skype program and everything returned to normal. I tried for a couple of hours and re-install to make it work.
bytemarks

Postby Golgar_2000 » 02. October 2009 07:39

Hi, I Believe I Have A Solution.
I Have Always Manually Gone & Downloaded, Installed & Configured All The Separate Programs, Apache, PHP, etc. Never Had A Problem I Couldn't Fix Or Find A Solution For, Anyway, I Have Just Downloaded & Installed XAMPP 1.7.2 Also The Tomcat Add-on. Now Everything Was Fine First Run All Services Ran Fine.

Apache
MySql
FileZilla
Mercury &
Tomcat.

The Problem Started After I Restarted My Computer. No Apache? It Says It Started But Nothing, Hmmm Strange. All The Configuration Files Where Correct. So I Mucked Around For A While, Researched Everywhere & Even Tried To Install Apache Over The Apache Directory In XAMPP. Still Nothing. So I Started Again. Uninstall, Re-Install. Hey Apache Is Working Again. This Time No Restart. So I Just Clicked The Stop Apache Button, All Good. Ok Start Apache, NOTHING AGAIN. Sound Familiar?

Now Is Not The Time To Scream, It Has Already Told You The Problem. Apache. Very Simple, Go & Check Out The Error Log (Open With Notepad) The Log Files Are Located Here

" \xampp\apache\logs

Go To The Bottom Of The Log File & You Will See The Date, Time & Status. I Found That A File Was Missing Or Could Not Be Located. The Problem Was Related To Tomcat Which Stopped Apache From Starting.

"mod_jk.so" Was Missing From " \xampp\tomcat\Server\xampp\apache\modules\

So I Found A Copy Of "mod_jk.so" Located In " \xampp\apache\modules

So Very Simple. I Copied "mod_jk.so" From “ \xampp\apache\modules To “ \xampp\tomcat\Server\xampp\apache\modules\

Clicked The Start Apache Button & TADA Apache Is Working Again.

Now If A Different File Is Missing Try Searching Your Computer For It & If You Don’t Have It Download The ZIP File From Apache.org & You Should Find It In There.

In Conclusion If Apache Won't Start Or Won't Stay On Check You Log Files It Will Tell You The Problem. I Hope This Has Helped.
Golgar_2000

Postby Izzy » 02. October 2009 08:18

Golgar_2000 wrote:"mod_jk.so" Was Missing From " \xampp\tomcat\Server\xampp\apache\modules\
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=149962#p149962
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows