How to install a wordpress mu

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to install a wordpress mu

Postby jphelps » 27. July 2009 22:11

I am a complete beginner with the local server, and my primary use is going to be to enable me to build a wordpress mu community ready for launch and then move to my online server. My problem is, I do not understand I guess, how to install the script so as to view on my computer. I put a new folder in htdocs , and then uploaded the install script for wordpress mu into the folder. Now when I try to open it EG: http://localhost/xampp/htdoc/newfile/index.php it shows error. I am assuming I need to do something else with the htdocs file, or maybe calling it wrong altogether. Any help would be most appreciated!!!
jphelps
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 27. July 2009 21:59

Re: How to install a wordpress mu

Postby Izzy » 27. July 2009 23:57

http://localhost/xampp/htdoc/newfile/index.php
this is incorrect and would have your WordPress files located in the
C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\htdocs\newfile\ folder.

Try http://localhost/newfile/index.php

C:\xampp\htdocs is http://localhost/
Step 4 C:\xampp\readme_en.txt file
(assuming the default installation location of C:\xampp).
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: How to install a wordpress mu

Postby jphelps » 28. July 2009 14:28

Thanks but that did not work as well, I think maybe I do not have something set right. I can open he xammp page with all the settings but anything else, including the addreess for test in the read me file even comes back as object not found.
jphelps
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 27. July 2009 21:59

Re: How to install a wordpress mu

Postby Izzy » 29. July 2009 00:26

Paste back here the relevant (date and time) error entries in the C:\xampp\apache\logs\error.log file.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: How to install a wordpress mu

Postby jphelps » 29. July 2009 01:58

As requested, thanks




[Mon Jul 27 15:37:31 2009] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:31 2009] [notice] Digest: done
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:35 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i PHP/5.2.9 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:35 2009] [notice] Server built: Dec 10 2008 00:10:06
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:35 2009] [notice] Parent: Created child process 5048
Terminating on signal SIGTERM(15)
] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:39 2009] [notice] Digest: done
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:41 2009] [notice] Child 5048: Child process is running
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:41 2009] [notice] Child 5048: Acquired the start mutex.
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:41 2009] [notice] Child 5048: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:41 2009] [notice] Child 5048: Starting thread to listen on port 443.
[Mon Jul 27 15:37:41 2009] [notice] Child 5048: Starting thread to listen on port 80.
[Mon Jul 27 15:44:49 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/function.mysql-connect, referer: http://localhost/xampp/cds.php
datablock position = 2048
[Mon Jul 27 15:48:55 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/httdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:50:01 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:51:34 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:51:36 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:51:36 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/httdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:52:28 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 16:11:16 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 16:11:54 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
Terminating on signal SIGTERM(15)
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:23 2009] [warn] pid file C:/xampp/apache/logs/httpd.pid overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:34 2009] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:34 2009] [notice] Digest: done
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:49 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i PHP/5.2.9 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:49 2009] [notice] Server built: Dec 10 2008 00:10:06
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:49 2009] [notice] Parent: Created child process 940
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:54 2009] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:54 2009] [notice] Digest: done
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:56 2009] [notice] Child 940: Child process is running
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:56 2009] [notice] Child 940: Acquired the start mutex.
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:56 2009] [notice] Child 940: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:56 2009] [notice] Child 940: Starting thread to listen on port 80.
[Mon Jul 27 16:24:56 2009] [notice] Child 940: Starting thread to listen on port 443.
[Mon Jul 27 16:52:15 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Mon Jul 27 16:53:30 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 16:53:43 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 16:54:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 17:34:29 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 17:34:54 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 17:44:57 2009] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal -- Shutting down the server.
[Mon Jul 27 17:44:57 2009] [notice] Child 940: Exit event signaled. Child process is ending.
[Mon Jul 27 17:44:58 2009] [notice] Child 940: Released the start mutex
[Mon Jul 27 17:44:59 2009] [notice] Child 940: All worker threads have exited.
[Mon Jul 27 17:44:59 2009] [notice] Child 940: Child process is exiting
[Mon Jul 27 17:44:59 2009] [notice] Parent: Child process exited successfully.
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:13 2009] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:13 2009] [notice] Digest: done
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:18 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i PHP/5.2.9 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:18 2009] [notice] Server built: Dec 10 2008 00:10:06
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:18 2009] [notice] Parent: Created child process 5864
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:23 2009] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:23 2009] [notice] Digest: done
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:25 2009] [notice] Child 5864: Child process is running
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:25 2009] [notice] Child 5864: Acquired the start mutex.
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:25 2009] [notice] Child 5864: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:26 2009] [notice] Child 5864: Starting thread to listen on port 80.
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:26 2009] [notice] Child 5864: Starting thread to listen on port 443.
[Tue Jul 28 09:09:58 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:10:40 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:10:52 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:11:02 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:12:06 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:13:20 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:15:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script 'C:/xampp/htdocs/test.php' not found or unable to stat
[Tue Jul 28 09:18:01 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Tue Jul 28 09:18:25 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/htdocs
[Tue Jul 28 09:24:53 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script 'C:/xampp/htdocs/test.php' not found or unable to stat
[Tue Jul 28 09:32:21 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/index.html
[Tue Jul 28 09:35:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script 'C:/xampp/htdocs/test.php' not found or unable to stat
[Tue Jul 28 09:37:21 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script 'C:/xampp/htdocs/test.php' not found or unable to stat
[Tue Jul 28 09:38:07 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (20024)The given path is misformatted or contained invalid characters: Cannot map GET /test.php:80 HTTP/1.1 to file
[Tue Jul 28 09:50:44 2009] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal -- Shutting down the server.
[Tue Jul 28 09:50:44 2009] [notice] Child 5864: Exit event signaled. Child process is ending.
[Tue Jul 28 09:50:45 2009] [notice] Child 5864: Released the start mutex
[Tue Jul 28 09:50:46 2009] [notice] Child 5864: All worker threads have exited.
[Tue Jul 28 09:50:46 2009] [notice] Child 5864: Child process is exiting
[Tue Jul 28 09:50:46 2009] [notice] Parent: Child process exited successfully.
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:26 2009] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:26 2009] [notice] Digest: done
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:29 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i PHP/5.2.9 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:29 2009] [notice] Server built: Dec 10 2008 00:10:06
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:29 2009] [notice] Parent: Created child process 5496
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:33 2009] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:33 2009] [notice] Digest: done
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:36 2009] [notice] Child 5496: Child process is running
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:36 2009] [notice] Child 5496: Acquired the start mutex.
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:36 2009] [notice] Child 5496: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:36 2009] [notice] Child 5496: Starting thread to listen on port 443.
[Tue Jul 28 09:51:36 2009] [notice] Child 5496: Starting thread to listen on port 80.
[Tue Jul 28 09:57:41 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 10:13:51 2009] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal -- Shutting down the server.
[Tue Jul 28 10:13:51 2009] [notice] Child 5496: Exit event signaled. Child process is ending.
[Tue Jul 28 10:13:52 2009] [notice] Child 5496: Released the start mutex
[Tue Jul 28 10:13:53 2009] [notice] Child 5496: All worker threads have exited.
[Tue Jul 28 10:13:53 2009] [notice] Child 5496: Child process is exiting
[Tue Jul 28 10:13:53 2009] [notice] Parent: Child process exited successfully.
jphelps
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 27. July 2009 21:59

Re: How to install a wordpress mu

Postby Izzy » 29. July 2009 04:19

Let's go from the top of the error message list:
(only error messages as the others are notices or warnings):

error.log wrote:[Mon Jul 27 15:44:49 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/function.mysql-connect, referer: http://localhost/xampp/cds.php
If you changed or created a MySQL/phpMyAdmin security password from the XAMPP Security page then the CD Collection Demo accessed from the XAMPP Welcome Page no longer works.

Please let me know back if you changed anything in any configuration or ini file from their installation defaults, so I know what to expect.


error.log wrote:[Mon Jul 27 15:48:55 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/httdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:50:01 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:51:34 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:51:36 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:51:36 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/httdocs
[Mon Jul 27 15:52:28 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 16:11:16 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 16:11:54 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
These locations do not exist or you typed an incorrect URI in your browser to access them, as I pointed out in my first reply, but C:\xampp\htdocs does exists and is where you would place your own files and folders and if you do place your own files in the htdocs folder then you would delete or rename the original XAMPP index.php and index.html files which would replace the original with your own index file - index.php or index.html.


error.log wrote:[Mon Jul 27 16:52:15 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Mon Jul 27 16:53:30 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 16:53:43 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 16:54:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 17:34:29 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Mon Jul 27 17:34:54 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
Ditto the above - use C:\xampp\htdocs only to add your own files and folders and go no further in the directory tree.
For example the C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp folder and it's sub folders are meant for XAMPP system files not your own files and folders.


error.log wrote:[Tue Jul 28 09:09:58 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:10:40 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:10:52 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:11:02 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:12:06 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:13:20 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/theeasychef
[Tue Jul 28 09:15:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script 'C:/xampp/htdocs/test.php' not found or unable to stat
[Tue Jul 28 09:18:01 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/htdocs
[Tue Jul 28 09:18:25 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/htdocs
[Tue Jul 28 09:24:53 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script 'C:/xampp/htdocs/test.php' not found or unable to stat
[Tue Jul 28 09:32:21 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/xampp/index.html
[Tue Jul 28 09:35:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script 'C:/xampp/htdocs/test.php' not found or unable to stat
[Tue Jul 28 09:37:21 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script 'C:/xampp/htdocs/test.php' not found or unable to stat
[Tue Jul 28 09:38:07 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (20024)The given path is misformatted or contained invalid characters: Cannot map GET /test.php:80 HTTP/1.1 to file
Ditto the above as the files do not exist and so Apache throws out the request and logs an error for you to make sure that the address (URI) you type in the browser is correct and corresponds to a file location in the server's DocumentRoot.
The server's DocumentRoot is C:\xampp\htdocs and the URI for the Apache default DocumentRoot is http://localhost and this would appear to be correct because you can access the XAMPP Welcome Page from this URI.


error.log wrote:[Tue Jul 28 09:57:41 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/theeasychef
As the error message is telling you this location does not exists or you typed the wrong URI in your browser.
The address to type for the above location of C:/xampp/htdocs/theeasychef would be:
http://localhost/theeasychef/
Make sure this folder has an index file or you will only get a file list returned by the server.



All there is left to do now is to put your own files and folders in the C:\xampp\htdocs folder and rename or delete the existing index files in the C:\xampp\htdocs folder and replace them with your own index files if required - index.php or index.html etc.

To access the XAMPP Welcome Page, if you have deleted or renamed the index.php file in the htdocs folder, is to use the URI http://localhost/xampp/index.php

I hope this has made your task a little easier to understand what is required and where to place your own files and folders in the XAMPP installation tree, because the examples in the readme-en.txt file are only that, examples of the URI required and where to place your own files and do not exist as real files, you would need to substitute your own file names and folder names for the examples in the readme file instead.
Hopefully, sometime in the not too distant future, the XAMPP developers will rewrite all the English readme and all the remaining English documentation files to be more understandable after being translated from the German language files, automatic machine translations, like those found on the Internet, are usually notoriously unintelligible in both directions.

Good luck.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: How to install a wordpress mu

Postby jphelps » 29. July 2009 14:31

As of now your suggestions are working, a BIG thanks for your time and help. i now just have to wait for config help from wordpress mu.


Again Thanks
jphelps
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 27. July 2009 21:59


Return to XAMPP for Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests